What has quarantine done to creativity?

BY JULIE WELLERT

Quarantine has been affecting people and their creative mindsets in different ways. Some have been thriving during isolation while others have struggled.

For those of who cope with daily life through artistic means, quarantine has had a large effect. Olivia Wellert, 10, explains.

Olivia Wellert has completed these paintings while she has been stuck at home. Though she has lost much inspiration, she was capable of completing a few pieces. Photo by Olivia Wellert

“Quarantine has affected my creativity by closing it in a box. A very tiny box, of which no creativity can escape. It’s like a box with no key or lock; It’s just closed.”

With the isolation and lack of socialization that goes along with the quarantine, it can be hard to find inspiration. Sometimes, it is even just hard finding the motivation to pick up a paintbrush.

“Before quarantine, I painted almost every day,” said Seasons Singleton, 10. “But since being in quarantine, I haven’t felt motivated to paint as much.”

Once the quarantine started, some teens decided to get jobs or increase work hours. Between finishing schoolwork and working jobs, this has left some with little time to work on artistic projects.

“Honestly, I’m never home. I’ve taken more hours at work,” said Madi Schnick, 11.

For teens like her, not being able to find the time to do the hobbies one loves can lead to more stress. There is no release from the constant workload, and less time for oneself. It does not help either when part of one’s schoolwork is working on art projects that one does not have time to do.

“I wasn’t able to finish my projects in time and had a lot of stress on trying to get my work done in time,” said Schnick.

For some, this isolation has given them an opportunity to find new ways to stimulate their creativity. Those who have the time have been able to collect inspiration and start on new projects.

“I think I can be inspired and have a lot of creativity” explained Kayla Roush, 11. “I’ve been able to take my time and look at social media like Tik Tok and Instagram to inspire me.”

Kayla Roush was able to finish this project while she has been home. Having free time has inspired her to become more creative and express herself through art. Photo by Kayla Roush

Bella Tisevich, 11, also had a similar take. 

“To me, it’s been a lot of time to be creative. I’ve been painting everyday, drawing, and writing. So I’d say [quarantine] has inspired creativity.”

Everyone has been affected by quarantine in their own ways, whether it gives them more time and motivation or it cuts their creativity short. This unique and odd circumstance can either stand as a block, or it can be viewed as an opportunity for self improvement.