Ski Club Comes Back To Wadsworth High

The Ski Club recently came back to Wadsworth High School at the beginning of January.
This club was made for Students to come together to ski and hang out for a few hours. The ski club had been a part of WHS for many years. However, during COVID-19, the club stopped.
“When it was time to initiate the club again, the ski resort we had raised their prices substantially,” said Justina Kline, the new advisor of the ski club here at WHS.
For a while, the school didn’t think that the ski club was something worth bringing back due to the price increase. So, the ski club changed a few things like the resort they practice in, and includes field trips to snow trails in Mansfield on Monday evenings. The ski club has had over 50 kids joining since its pause in 2019.
“I was nervous, with a new location and a new director, that there would not be a lot of interest,” Kline said.

Photo courtesy Fair Use.

In order to get into the ski club students must buy a pass to Snow Trails using the school code. Students mostly buy the “once-a-week pass” which covers the school visits. Students who have this pass can also use it outside of the ski club giving kids access to practice skiing on off days.
While the ski club is recreational and does not consist of practicing, some students who have never skied before have opted for lessons, which have been provided by the school.
“Ski club allows you to have fun with your friends and still do a sport you enjoy,” said Sienna Lucci, a junior at WHS.
Lucci has been skiing for around four to five years, so she knew she would love the ski club.
“You get dropped off by the bus in the afternoon and then you get to go off and ski with your friends,” Lucci said.

(From right to left) Elise Errington, Sienna Lucci, and Camryn Berg(left to right) skiing at Snow Trails in Mansfield, Ohio. They will do this once a week. Photo courtesy of Camryn Berg.

Lucci finds it very convenient since there is a place for them to ski and have school transportation already there ready to pick everyone up once ski practice is over.
Lucci has also noticed a lot of people who at first didn’t know how to ski progressively getting better with each practice. Ski club is very affordable and fun and Lucci would recommend it for people who are looking for a new hobby to try.
Camryn Berg, a junior at WHS, participated in ski club in the seventh grade for the first time, and ever since then, she has thoroughly enjoyed it as an out-of-school hobby.
“The first time I went into a ski club I went in with no prior experience,” Berg said.
Unfortunately, COVID-19 stopped this opportunity for her. So, when Berg found out that the ski club was coming back after being absent for several years, she knew she was going to join back.
Despite having little prior experience, Berg has found herself learning through these trips.
“I’ve learned a lot about how to ski like maneuverability,” Berg said.
Berg enjoys having a ski club because it gives her something to do on Mondays that are normally stressful. Berg finds skiing to be a stress reliever.
Overall, members of the ski club have enjoyed hanging out with friends and experiencing the fun obstacles and bigger hills on the course. Berg always looks forward to the next ski club meeting and hopes more people will continue to join and find a hobby in skiing.