Wadsworth High School's Student Newspaper

Wadsworth Band To March In Annual Memorial Day Parade

The Wadsworth High School marching band marched on a sunny day. They started marching around the square and will end up at Woodlawn Cemetery. Photo courtesy of Amanda Workman.

Wadsworth Ohio’s Annual Memorial Day parade is approaching on May 27, 2024 from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. 

People such as veterans and the marching band march to Woodlawn Cemetery for a speech and Wadsworth High School’s marching band plays the national anthem. Wadsworth’s own high school marching band participates in this annual parade. They will play two short songs, “This Is My Country” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag,” and march with Veterans.

”It’s a wonderful service that we can provide for the community and be out there marching with veterans,” said Dana Hire, Wadsworth High School Marching Band director.

The marching band has been marching in this parade for many years. This year they feel prepared and ready; however, it is very hard to get time to practice. With their busy schedule up ahead, they still make time in school to practice for this parade.

“I really enjoy marching [in the Memorial Day Parade],” said Tyler Svenson, a trumpet player in Wadsworth High School’s Marching Band.

The marching band does many things for this parade, and they are very respectful. 

“I feel it’s an important thing that we need to participate in because we’re supporting those who fought for our country,” said Andrew Thesing, a Junior at Wadsworth High School and member of the marching band.

In past years, Memorial Day Parades have lasted about an hour in total. Usually, veteran groups, scout troops, and other school groups march with the marching band to the cemetery for a speech.