Oscars Hosts 96th Annual Academy Awards

The 96th Annual Academy Awards were held this past Sunday, March 10, 2024, in Los Angeles, California at the Dolby Theatre. Hosted by late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, the awards celebrated the past year of film with performances, surprise guests, and even a sing-along.

The most prestigious award of the night, ‘Best Picture,’ was given to “Oppenheimer,” directed by Christopher Nolan. The story of the man who created the atomic bomb, “Oppenheimer” stars actors and actresses such as Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr., and Florence Pugh. Nolan also took home the award for ‘Best Directing’ for the film.

Multiple nominees for ‘Best Original Song’ performed their songs, including Ryan Gosling singing the first live performance of “I’m Just Ken.” Dressed in all pink, Gosling and the other Kens from “Barbie” sang, danced, and put their hearts into the spectacle.

Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell took home the award for ‘Best Original Song’ for their song “What Am I Made For?” from the “Barbie” soundtrack. This is Eilish’s second Oscar award, previously winning in 2022 for her song “No Time To Die” from the James Bond film “No Time To Die,” making Eilish the youngest person to win two Oscars, at the age of 22.

“I want to thank my dance teachers growing up,” Eilish said. “I want to thank my choir teachers, Miss Freedham, for believing in me, and Miss T, you didn’t like me but you were good at your job.”

Robert Downey Jr. won the award for ‘Actor In A Supporting Role’ for his role as Lewis Strauss in “Oppenheimer.” Downey has been nominated for an Academy Award three times, but this is his first win.

“I’d like to thank my terrible childhood and The Academy, in that order,” Downey said.

Emma Stone won the award for ‘Actress In A Leading Role’ for her role in “Poor Things.” This is Stone’s second Oscar, winning her first for her role as Mia in “La La Land.” This win makes Stone one of only 15 women to win the title twice. 

“My dress is broken,” Stone said as her dress malfunctioned while she was on stage. “I think it happened during ‘I’m Just Ken.’”