Wadsworth High School's Student Newspaper

WHS Teachers Describe Their School Day

Mrs.+Everhart+teaches+her+personal+finance+class+in+the+first+period.+The+students+are+learning+about+insurance+and+retirement+plans+for+their+future.+Photo+and+graphic+by+Grace+Sharp.+
Mrs. Everhart teaches her personal finance class in the first period. The students are learning about insurance and retirement plans for their future. Photo and graphic by Grace Sharp.

Teachers at Wadsworth High School dedicate time each day to prepare the classroom for their students before the morning bell rings. Some teachers leave their house as early as six a.m., so they can get to school on time and beat the traffic.

Susan Everhart, a teacher at Wadsworth High School, WHS, described her morning routine. Everhart teaches Personal Finance, along with Marketing and Sales. She has been teaching for seven years at Wadsworth.

“Well, I get here at about 6:30,” Everhart said. “I live down in Louisville, Ohio, so I have a 45-minute commute in the mornings. I always have to make it a point to leave at six o’clock.”

When Everhart arrives, she makes sure that all her materials and lesson plans are prepared for the day. 

“Usually, there is a group of us in the business department that walk down to check our staff mailboxes,” Everhart said. “You can find me standing at the end of my classroom and the hall, monitoring the hallway.”

Sandra Kurt is an Honors Algebra I and Honors Geometry teacher. She has taught at Wadsworth for almost 31 years.

“When I get into class I get my whiteboards with all my agenda for both my classes put up,” Kurt said. “I will load everything onto my clever touch board, so then when class starts I am ready and can just get right to it.”

After setting up for the school day, Kurt checks her and her department’s staff mailboxes and unlocks everyone’s classroom door.

Then Kurt will do something to pass the time until the bell rings such as grading papers, updating grades, or talking with the other teachers.

After school, teachers will usually stay an hour after 2:30 p.m., which is when school ends for students.

“Before I leave I set out all my papers for the next day, I look through all the problems,” Kurt said. “Sometimes I make up little quick quizzes to keep everybody on their toes. I always have everything in its place before I leave for the night.”