Opinion: ACT Prep Classes Are Not Worth It

Signs for prep classes are posted outside the guidance office and have more information on the classes. The QR code can be scanned by student’s interested in signing up for the classes. Photo by Katie Allen.

ACT Prep Classes are not worth the expensive cost and time spent in the classroom.

Signs for prep classes are posted outside the guidance office and have more information on the classes. The QR code can be scanned by students interested in signing up for the classes. Photo by Katie Allen.

Like many other high schools, Wadsworth holds ACT Prep classes in its building a few times throughout the year. These classes can be taken by juniors preparing for their ACT test, students looking to improve their scores, or even students just looking for extra studying material and preparation. When first hearing about the classes it sounds like a great idea to many; however, the expensive cost may change things for students.
“Students review key concepts in English, math, reading, and science that are covered on the ACT,” said Laura Icardi, who is in charge of ACT Prep Classes. “This includes grammar rules, algebraic concepts, reading comprehension strategies, and scientific reasoning skills.”

Graphic by Katie Allen.

Although the class may be beneficial for some, there are many cheaper options that have the potential to be just as helpful as the class.
“Students are taught specific strategies for approaching different question types, managing anxiety, and making educated guesses when necessary,” Icardi said. “This includes understanding the format of each section and learning how to strategize for maximum efficiency.”Students who do not feel incredibly committed to improving their score, but who would still like to dedicate some time to practicing could take advantage of options such as the free ACT Practice Tests that are commonly offered at Wadsworth Public Library. These practice tests will allow them to familiarize themselves with the test without having to dedicate an excessive amount of time or money towards it.

“I think if you do poorly on the ACT you could use that money for a second test instead of using it on the class,” said Gabby Bailey, a junior who took the ACT prep class last year. “Honestly, I feel like I would have benefited more studying in my free time rather than the time spent in the class. Don’t get me wrong, the class helped by telling us what could be on the test but not by explaining how to answer those questions.”
For juniors looking to take the prep class before their ACT test, many tips provided in the class will not help them. The prep class focuses on tips and tricks for a paper ACT test; however, juniors take their test on computers.“I think that the ACT class did have something to do with getting a better score the second time around, but I feel that the class really only honed in on the English and reading sections and kinda skimmed over the math and science,” said Sarah Innocenti, a senior who took the ACT prep class last year. “If there was more instruction on the other two sections, I feel like my score would have been a lot better.”
Overall, whether students decide to take the prep class or not, for students to improve their scores to what they want, they must study.
“Our ACT/SAT classes are small groups that are taught by our expert, highly experienced teachers,” Icardi said. “Class time is spent reviewing skills in the subject areas tested, solving problems, practicing, and learning test-taking strategies that are essential for success.”