Review: ‘THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT’ Beats All Other Albums Released So Far This Year

THE+TORTURED+POETS+DEPARTMENT%3A+THE+ANTHOLOGY+album+cover.+This+served+as+a+double+album+that+was+release+at+2+A.M.+Photo+courtesy+of+fair+use+laws.++
THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY album cover. This served as a double album that was release at 2 A.M. Photo courtesy of fair use laws.

Taylor Swift released her 11 studio album on April 19, 2024, titled “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” and it has already risen to an instant classic, in Swift’s discography and across all music. Her lyricism is better than ever, the production is unlike anything she has ever done and is one of her most cohesive albums to date.

Swift announced the album’s release at the Grammy Awards in February of 2024, and the next day released the tracklist consisting of 16 songs. On April 19, at 2 A.M., Swift surprise dropped 15 more songs, making “TORTURED POETS” a double album called “THE ANTHOLOGY.” All 31 songs are great in their own right, but many stand out as some of Swift’s best songs across her 18-year career.

“My favorite song is ‘The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived’ because it’s the best bridge of the whole album,” said Alyvia Owen, a Taylor Swift fan.

Swift has many songs in her discography that lead up to a giant build-up in the end, and a perfect example of that would be “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived.” While slow at first, the song builds in intensity at the bridge.

My personal favorite on the album is “loml.” After much speculation, finally figuring out that “loml” stands for “loss of my life,” was one of the best, yet gut-wrenching parts of listening to the album. The delivery on that specific line makes the entire song stand out above the rest and makes it the best.

“An anthology of new works that reflect events, opinions, and sentiments from a fleeting and fatalistic moment in time – one that was both sensational and sorrowful in equal measure,” Swift said about her new album.

The lyrics Swift wrote for “TORTURED POETS” are emotional and cathartic and are some of the most saddening lyrics of hers, whether the song’s production is upbeat or slow. Such as “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” when Swift says “Breaking down, I hit the floor/ All the pieces of me shattered as the crowd was chanting “More.” The upbeat production makes it one of the most fun songs to sing on the album, yet the lyrics make the listener saddened by all Swift is singing about.

“THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT” is some of the best music out at this moment and is going to be talked about for years and years to come. Despite it being brand new, I can already not imagine a world without this album.