Wadsworth High School's Student Newspaper

Wadsworth High’s Baseball Teams Wind Up To Win

Brody Carbaugh (9) goes up to pitch as his teammates watch. This took place against Wooster High School on May 8, 2024 on the WHS Baseball Field. Photo courtesy of Chad Gray.

Wadsworth High School’s baseball teams have been practicing throughout the season with varying success in games. As tournament time approaches, the team aims for a district championship. The season began in late March and will end in June.

Every year, the teams try to win the Suburban League. They also try to win 20 games and make a run in the tournament. Unfortunately, the teams were unable to win the Suburban League, but the two other goals are still attainable. 

Landon Villao (9) Thomas Gray (9), and Elliot Codding (9) watch their game. The freshman team won 6-4 against Wooster High School on May 8, 2024, on the WHS Baseball Field. Photo courtesy of Chad Gray.

“We’ve had an up and down year,” said Gregory Pickard, the head coach of the Wadsworth baseball team. “We got a really talented and experienced senior class, so I don’t think the season has gone down the way we all quite imagined it.”

Difficulties such as injuries, the weather, and inconsistency have made competing harder. 

“We’re still trying to make up games from the first several weeks that got rained,” Pickard said. 

They have to play 27 games in six weeks. 

“We still feel like we have room to grow, but at the same time I think we do a lot of things really well,” Pickard said. 

The coaches are proud of their players’ ambition and ability to learn.

Players go to daily high school practices and batting cages like HIT24, in which they work on techniques and skills. 

“They [teammates] all have had a lot of fun,” said Camren Shuleva, a player on the Freshman baseball team. “They’ve enjoyed their time practicing and working hard.” 

For the freshman baseball team, this season has been intriguing. 

“It was the first time I played with a whole different group of people,” Shuleva said. 

They have learned a lot and gained many new experiences through the Wadsworth High School baseball program.

With tournament time coming up, there are hopes for a fresh start. Overall, the season was full of improvement and zeal.

“The dedication they [players] put in this program makes this program what it is,” Pickard said.

The baseball teams continue to rise from their challenges and attempt to gain wins for Wadsworth.