Wadsworth High School's Student Newspaper

Robotics Class Shows Off Their Robots

Sofia Kovalchik, in the middle, working with her group on creating their robots for May 9th. Her and her group put it into water the day of the contest. Photo by Kip Shipley.

The Four Cities Compact Programming, Design, and Robotics teamed up with the Engineering Design and Technology Compact and recently had one of their last projects of the year on May 9. The two compacts team up to make their own robots to complete the task of picking up a diving stick under the water while timing themselves, to do this the students went to the YMCA pool during 1st period. 

There were 8 groups that made a max of four and a minimum of three robots, the groups taking about a week to create their robots. 

“We just throw a little floaty thing in and go dive and go get it and you got to time yourself,” said Cody Caplinger, a Junior at Wadsworth High School and one of the students in the engineering compact.

This is one of the robots they released into the pool to collect floaties. The floats keep the robot up and the propellers help it move in the water. Photo by Kip Shipley.

The robots are put into the pool and a student would have to control it with an Xbox-like controller while trying to make the robot pick up a diving stick by using the front of the robot.

“We pretty much did everything from the cutting, to the wiring, to the soldering,” said Logan Bounce, also a Junior at Wadsworth High School and one of the students in the engineering compact.

The students had an example and instructions to follow for the creation of their robots but they started them from scratch.

This project was used as a way to transition from what they were learning into something different that they were not used to.