Wadsworth businesses adapt to COVID-19 changes

BY LANEY CORELL

With the recent pandemic that has surfaced, many local businesses had to find new ways to adapt and grow to continue operating while adhering to strict state mandates. Two companies in Wadsworth, Pulp, and Jazzercise, have found new ways to continue to run their businesses while ensuring the safety of their staff and customers. 

Before this pandemic, Jazzercise was held in a fitness center with an instructor leading classes from a stage. Members would follow along to the routines of many different songs. The outbreak of COVID-19 resulted in a statewide decision by the governor to close all gyms. As a result, Jazzercise implemented a new program to provide access for members to continue their workouts at home. To follow regulations Jazzercise owner, Wendy Becerra, joined in with other Jazzercise instructors and streamed workouts through FaceBookLive. This way, members were able to follow along and hear and see the instructors from the comfort and safety of their homes.

“I love being able to live stream with the members because I can continue to encourage them,” said Becerra.  “It is the next best option we have besides being face to face.”

She explained that members who are a part of the Jazzercise community have access to the live streams and videos that the instructor’s record and stream; therefore, it is similar to the gym. Although it is different from what members are traditionally used to, these options provide members with opportunities to stay fit during these times. 

During this pandemic, some businesses have orders to close, while others were allowed to remain open if they agreed to follow strict state mandates. Jason Friedt and business partner Justin Daubenmire recently opened their juice and smoothie bar, Pulp, in Wadsworth.  Although their opening was delayed due to COVID-19, they were prepared to welcome the public. 

When they opened in mid-March, COVID-19 mandates were already put in place. One of their biggest obstacles in the opening was not preparing for these mandates but was securing inspectors. They were having difficulty obtaining inspectors due to social distancing requirements. However, after a few weeks’ delay, their juice and smoothie bar finally received the go-ahead from the city to open. 

Freidt and Daubenmire explained that their business was fortunate to be allowed to open and stay open during these times because Pulp is carryout only.

As for the staff, Friedt claimed, “There are many reemphasizes on cleaning protocols and staff is held to a high standard of sanitizing. These precautions are an extra layer of redundancy to protect our staff and customers”.

Freidt also mentioned their business utilizes technology that reminds and holds staff accountable for different cleaning schedules, hand washing, and sanitizing times. The technology sends out reminders to the staff and requires them to sign off when they complete these safety measures. Also, Pulp limits the number of customers in the building, putting measures in place to ensure customers are six feet apart from each other at all times. All of these efforts help to ensure the safety of customers and staff. 

Many businesses have been significantly impacted. Both companies have created new ways to adapt to the changes and regulations that were in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and they have found new ways to continue business while following all guidelines in place. 

View Comments (1)

• T

Tina TomanMay 19, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Might also note that both Becerra and Freidt are WHS Alums and life long Wadsworth residents… people who truly care about putting the community first!

Reply