Buck smashes into Wadsworth restaurant during dinner

BY LIZ GROMOFSKY

On Monday, November 15, something unexpected happened at the local business, Sub Station. A buck had busted through the front door of the business, shattering the front door and creating a wreck throughout the whole business. Carson Bernard, a junior at WHS, had just arrived for the start of his shift. 

“My shift started at 5 o’clock that afternoon,” said Bernard. “I was walking downtown and noticed my co-workers in the window located at the front of the restaurant.”

Bernard said the next thing he noticed was the front door and all the glass on the ground. 

“My manager was yelling inside and telling everyone to stay calm,” said Bernard. “She told me to run away and go next door.”

Once everyone was safely evacuated by the police from the restaurant, the employees waited inside the Mosaic Church next door until the deer left the restaurant.

“It took at least 10 minutes until the deer ran out the back door,” said Bernard. “My co-workers told me that the deer had run through the glass door around 4:50 PM.”

The deer ran loose around the restaurant and started tearing everything up. After the police escorted everyone out of the restaurant, the deer continued to tear things up. 

“We could hear the deer through the walls, it sounded like an earthquake was occurring,” said Bernard. “Silverware, pizza trays and pots were falling everywhere and you could hear it all through the walls.”

Eventually, the deer left out the back doors. The employees were then able to view the damage the deer had caused.

“The tables and chairs in the dining room were flipped all around, pots and pans in the back room were all over the place, and our kitchen was a mess,” said Bernard. “We spent from 5:15 to 9:30 cleaning up the entire restaurant.”

The managers called in all the employees that work for Sub Station and some fellow neighbors from businesses downtown came to help. 

“We all freaked out, because this was something we weren’t trained for, but why would we be?” said Bernard. “Something like this we all would have never thought to ever happen.”

The restaurant is still trying to process what happened. The costs to repair the damage are still unknown. The restaurant will reopen tomorrow, November 17. Customers are to use the side door to enter.