Wadsworth teachers receive second dose of Covid-19 vaccine

BY ELISABETH GROMOFSKY

Wadsworth Schools closed on Friday, February 26 in order for teachers and staff to receive their second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine was the one that was administered to staff. Teachers and staff traveled to Medina High School to receive the second dose, given out from the Drug Mart pharmacists.

Eric Heffinger, a WHS English teacher and adviser to the Bruin, received his second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine on February 26. His shot was administered by Megan Levitt, his sister-in-law and Drug Mart pharmacist. Heffinger had a headache and felt fatigued after receiving his shot. PHOTO COURTESY OF ASHLEY HEFFINGER

For those that chose to sign up, they had to do so in three minute increments. Staff members that chose to receive the vaccine are now fully vaccinated.

Some of the staff members who chose to receive the vaccine expressed that they had a reaction to this second dose. 

“I got my shot yesterday and—just like the first does—the process was incredibly smooth!” said Nathan Singleton, an English teacher at Wadsworth High School. “Dose 1 didn’t phase me at all. Dose 2 is a different story. I’ve had chills, aches, a headache, and I’ve slept for six hours during the day because I don’t have energy for anything else.” 

However, some teachers had no reaction at all.

“I felt fine after my second vaccine and have been fine since,” said Kristin MacDowell, a WHS science teacher. “I have done all of my normal daily activities and the only thing I noticed was that my arm was a little bit sore.”

Along with MacDowell, Allison Parsons, math teacher at the high school, commented on her experience. 

“The second vaccine went just as smoothly as the first,” said Parsons. “Everything was run very efficiently. Fortunately, I only had a sore arm this time, just like the first vaccine.”

Wadsworth teachers were part of the first round of teachers across Ohio to receive the vaccine. Other districts will be getting their first and second rounds of the vaccine in the coming weeks.

Anne Rosenberger poses with her vaccination card. She is one of the teachers that decided to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. PHOTO COURTESY OF ANNE ROSENBERGER