AP Research and AP European History offer new opportunities for students

BY KAYLA ROSS

Of the sixteen AP classes offered at Wadsworth High School, two are brand new this year: AP European History and AP Research. 

These classes are recommended for juniors and seniors, as they are demanding classes. Zach Adams, senior at WHS, recommends AP European History for anyone who has a deeper interest in history. 

“I would recommend this class to students who enjoyed modern world history and AP U.S. history, but want to go deeper or want a new perspective on history,” said Adams. 

This class is similar to AP U.S. History in some aspects, for example, the AP test in May for AP U.S. History and AP European History is the same formatting. The only difference between the classes and tests is the subject of content. 

“Having taken APUSH with Mr. Knapp, AP Euro has mostly stuck to the old structure,” said Adams. “The difference is that here are no more guided readings, but rather free-response quizzes every chapter over certain key ‘Anchor Points’.”

Mr. Knapp teaches modern world history, AP U.S. History, and AP European History. He wanted to start offering this class at WHS. 

“Finally, we found some room and worked together with Mr. Moore to make it fit,” said Knapp. “We finally had enough teachers to teach everything, so we made it fit.” 

For especially juniors and seniors, this class offers a deeper understanding of history overall.

“I think for students who want to go deeper into some of these topics introduced in Modern World History and AP U.S. History, this AP class would of course be good for that,” said Knapp. 

In addition to AP European History, AP Research is a new class offered at WHS this year. To take this class, students must first take AP Seminar. Mr. Schoonover teaches both AP Research and AP Seminar. He wanted to start offering this class as an additional opportunity for students. 

“I really liked the idea of this class for the AP students,” said Schoonover.  “I think that if you are interested in serious academic study in college this is a great opportunity for students to explore other academic interests.” 

This class is more independent for the students. The students get to pick a topic that they choose to research all year. 

“[The goal is] Mainly to get out of students’ way,” said Schoonover. “I want to facilitate their ability to explore the topic and their research.”

Mr. Schoonover assists his seventh period class with their research. His students are working towards the AP Capstone. PHOTO BY KAYLA ROSS

Alyssa Aey, senior, also recommends that students enroll in AP Seminar and Research. 

“Taking AP research is a great way to improve writing and researching skills,” said Aey. “For students who enjoy English classes and are interested in careers that involve research, it is definitely worth the demand. It has helped my overall writing skills.” 

The AP diploma is an internationally recognized achievement. To accomplish this, taking AP Seminar and AP Research is necessary. In total, students must take six AP classes and pass six exams as well, two of those classes and exams being Seminar and Research. 

To enroll in these classes, students need to have strong writing and studying skills.  If you are interested in or have questions about any of the classes mentioned above, talk to your guidance counselor to see if these classes may be a good fit for your schedule next year.