2010s: The tech that made us

BY MICAH BECK & ANNA WOLFINGER

A DECADE OF TECHNOLOGY

Social media ties us together

Social media has become more than just a pastime or a hobby. Throughout the past decade, social media has become a staple for personality and defines who we are as people.
With the easy access to technology, people can know who you are without needing to talk to you face to face. With new generations being born into this technology ridden age, it becomes their new reality and their new normal. Talking to people face to face has increasingly become atypical.

As technology has become normalized, children start to get smart phones at younger ages.
“I got my first smartphone when I was eight years old,” Sammi Voitko, 9.

LINE GRAPH SOURCES: statista.com

While at the beginning of the decade, smartphones were still gaining popularity and were not as widely common.

“My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G when I was 12 years old,” said Ethan Madden, 12.
Dating, friendships, doctor’s appointments, fast food, have all become substantially more accessible with the click of a button on an app. Is this considered lazy or is it just socially acceptable?

“When I was working I would use Door Dash around twice a week,” said Annie Black, 11. “It was very convenient for when I didn’t have the time to go get food.”

Technology has given people a way to communicate with each other in a way that has shaped how we interact on a regular basis. Everyone who owns a smart device or is a part of social media are binded together virtually. We are all tied together in a way that a decade ago, we did not think was possible.

Over the past decade we have seen many changes, with the most noticeable being the evolution of technology and social media. With the addition of social media influencers into everyday life, they have been given the power to play a major role in shaping today’s society as a whole.

Along with the change in social media, music and media productions have also evolved. We have seen an influx in prominent roles played by females. Music has become more like a form of activism and less for general entertainment.

As this decade comes to an end and we look towards the start of a new one, one thing is certain: social media will not be leaving anytime soon. Even government officials, such as the president, use Twitter and Facebook to announce and inform his audience. Social media has converted itself into a news outlet of its own. It is a powerful source used by many and growing everyday.

This decade has shown the importance and power of social media in both news, influencers, and music.

Read more about the 2010s: