Guidance implements new program to improve study skills

BY BRIAN COOTE

Once a week during Academic Lab, students are taking the time to watch videos to help improve their study skills.  Produced by Crash Course, a YouTube channel, the eleven video course focuses on time management, ways to study, and test preparation. 

“We sent out a survey to the school on their feelings about school and what areas of support they need academically,” said guidance counselor Mrs. Rapp. “The biggest thing students said was help with study skills, time management and things that pertain to learning. The reason we chose those videos was because they were accessible, interesting, interactive, and for those that want to can go back they were on YouTube and can rewatch them.”

The Crash Course videos educate students on proper study skills and time management. Students watch the video during their I.E period. Photo by Brian Coote

The videos are a small part of the Wadsworth High school Academic Resource Center (A.R.C).The A.R.C. helps students of all grades and all abilities for various needs, such as managing stress/workload, organization and homework maintenance, general study and test-taking skills, and reading comprehension strategies.

A.R.C takes place in I.E on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Media Center where peer tutoring by NHS students and communication between teachers, parents, and counselors takes place.

“It’s hard for teachers because it takes a portion out of I.E, so we are looking at other ideas and areas that we will focus on in the spring,” said Rapp on the future of I.E videos and A.R.C. 

The videos are just one small step in helping all students excel in school. The entire objective of A.R.C. is for the student to grow strong in academics, study techniques, and personal balance and eventually find proficiency in all areas.