Theater members draw inspiration for upcoming play at Stan Hywet Halls and Garden

BY STANLEY BINGHAM

In preparation for their play, the cast of A Midsummer Night’s Dream traveled to Stan Hywet Hall and Garden on October 18. The purpose of this trip was to research and explore different elements of nature which could be used on the set of the play. Cast members also had time to explore the area on their own.

Upon arriving, the members received a tour of the house and the grounds and then later participated in scavenger hunts. This helped them to understand the area as it pertains to the play.

“The students were inspired by the historical relevance and the beauty of the Tudor style architecture as well as the various gardens and landscapes of the property,” remarked Pamela Csaky, who is directing the play.

g2
The cast of A Midsummer Night’s Dream poses for a photo after having just arrived at Stan Hywet  Halls and Garden. Photo courtesy of Leigh Hillegass

A portion of time was also dedicated to personal exploration. This was done in order to gain ideas for the set of the play- taking place in Akron around 1915.

“When we got free time, we got to explore by ourselves,” said Leigh Hillegass, 11. “We learned that we could play with the elements of the setting in our props by blending nature with the house and saw how they built most things around what was already there landscape wise.”

The time period in which the students are performing will be better represented in the production of the play because of the ideas and concepts gained on the trip.

The play will debut December 6-8 in the Performing Arts Center.