Bruin wins 1st place OSMA award

BY JILLIAN CORNACCHIONE

The Wadsworth High School Bruin staff recently attended the 2018 Ohio Scholastic Media Association convention, and for the second year in a row, they took home the OSMA award for first place student newspaper in the state.

Over spring break, Bruin members Marraya Youngblood, 11, Colin Wright, 12, along with Adam and Ahmed Darwich, 12, traveled to Kent State University. The school, known for its journalism and mass communication program, hosted the state ceremony for the OSMA.

They were joined by nearly 400 other high school journalists from numerous schools located throughout Ohio. Schools from these areas submitted their news writing to OSMA to be critiqued and placed into categories such as superior and excellent.
The OSMA was impressed by our staff’s work, saying “The Bruin is an outstanding high school newspaper and truly serves well the students of Wadsworth High School.”

The Wadsworth Bruin was very victorious, seizing multiple awards including 3rd place for their student news website. However, they were especially honored to obtain the first place title for their school newspaper.

OSMA
Bruin members Adam Darwich, 12, Colin Wright, 12, Ahmed Darwich, 12, and Marraya Youngblood, 11, celebrate the end of a successful ceremony. Photo by Mr. Eric Heffinger

“I hope winning this award shows this year’s staff that their countless hours of hard work did not go unnoticed,” said this year’s Bruin Chief, senior Quentin Griffin.

The previous year, they had won first place with Maria Reguerio as their chief.

“It was a great year, and I hope they keep climbing the ladder and take first place next year,” said Griffin.

As the school year comes to an end, Bruin members are sending off the senior staff and welcoming new additions to the team. Marraya Youngblood has been named next year’s chief and has high hopes for the Bruin.

“I hope this award will motivate next year’s staff and show them that with effort and dedication, you can achieve great things. Hard work really pays off,” Youngblood explained.

The Wadsworth Bruin staff is looking forward to another year of success and are keeping their eyes on the prize, hoping to receive the award for the 3rd year in a row.