Wadsworth’s Hailey Harris Places First in DECA State Competition

Hailey Harris, a Wadsworth High School senior, placed first overall in her category at the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) State Competition, qualifying her for the National Competition in April.

Harris competes in the Sports and Entertainment Marketing category.  Both a 100-question test and a roleplay business scenario contribute to each contestant’s total score. 

Members from the Business Marketing Compacting at the state competition. In the class, students learn more about business management and leadership skills. “I enjoy getting to learn more about business and making friends,” Ross said. Photo courtesy of Parker Ross.

“You have to take on the role of some kind of professional and solve a problem that they give to you,” Harris said.  “Then they ask you questions about what you would do in certain situations.”

Students are allowed to participate in this competition through the Business Marketing Compact at Barberton High School.  To get ready for this competition Harris prepared in and out of the classroom.

“I took a lot of practice tests and did a lot of flashcards about vocabulary and some of the questions I thought they might ask,” Harris said.

After placing fourth in the state competition last year, Harris had high expectations going into this year’s tournament.

Hailey Harris holds her first-place trophy. After high school Harris plans to major in political science with the hopes of becoming an attorney. Photo courtesy of Hailey Harris.

“It feels good to be great, I already knew I was the best, I just had to prove it to the judges, and I did,” Harris said.

In addition to Harris, two other Wadsworth seniors were state placers, qualifying them for the national competition.  Parker Ross and Karla Keifling both placed fifth in their respective events.  Ross in Marketing Communications, and Keifling in Hospitality Professional Selling.

I’m excited to go out to California and get to experience competing against kids from all over the world,” Ross said.

The three will travel to Anaheim, California to compete in a four-day long competition from April 27-30.

“I am super thankful for my teachers and the compact administrators, as well as Dr. Suber,” Harris said.  “All of their support has meant a lot to me.”

View Comments (1)

About the Contributor
Mallory Gerschutz
Mallory Gerschutz, Business Editor

• H

Harry HarrisMar 24, 2024 at 1:31 pm

Congratulations

Reply