Tyler Blum Becomes Student Board Representative

Tyler Blum, senior, is Wadsworth High School Student Board Representative. Blum stands and presents the Board Students of the Month and gives the Board updates on the high school. Photo courtesy of Paul Taylor.

Wadsworth High School offers a position to seniors called Student Board Representative. This year, senior Tyler Blum is WHS’s Student Board Representative.
“For me it was different, I think normally they pick someone out of student council but last year, Suber said ‘You’re a good student right? You wanna be our student rep for next year?’ and that just kind of why I ended up with it,” said Blum.
As the Student Board Representative, Blum sits in on all of the regularly scheduled board meetings once a month.
“We meet with the higher-ups [administration and superintendent] and keep them updated as to what’s going on at the school or what problems there are. It’s really easy, they just ask ‘How’s the football team doing? How are clubs doing?’, so I just have to pay attention to that kind of stuff,” said Blum.
Blum would love for students to come to him with concerns so that he can be the real voice of students. Student opinion also allows Blum to see different angles from different students in different clubs.
“In my opinion, it’s kind of cool to see what goes on with that side of school, like they [Wadsworth School Board] were asking me if I had any interest in government,” Blum said.
Blum also sits in on student council meetings now to keep him more in the know.
“It’s like sitting in on a governmental meeting, it makes me feel important,” Blum said.
Typically, a student will come to a principal and ask to be Student Board Representative. From there, the principal will decide.
“[Tyler Blum is] A person who is able to talk to people, able to get in front of people and be recorded,” said Dr. Vincent Suber, head WHS principal.
Suber wants students to know that if they want to be Student Board Representative they should email him why they are interested and a small paragraph about them and how they are involved in the school.