PBIS Making Changes Within Wadsworth High

Pictured here are (left to right) Kelly Rapp, Nikki Farson, Carly DiPaolo, and Lauren Ross. At one of the first events held by PBIS where they passed out sweet treats to students with no tardies. Photo by Larkin Tackkett.

Wadsworth High School has most recently implemented the Positive Behavioral Intervention Support program, also known as PBIS. This was created to foster a sense of community, safety, and respect. PBIS as a whole continues to grow more every day. They have recently started reaching out to outside organizations to encourage people to support PBIS and all it represents. Nikki Farson, a counselor at Wadsworth High School, is working on the PBIS committee.

“When students feel that they are in a supportive and caring environment, they are more likely to engage in positive behaviors and have a better overall school experience,” Farson said. 

Farson believes that an overall better environment will lead to better attendance records. PBIS understands students’ different needs and varying levels of support. PBIS allows for individualized frameworks and interventions based on those needs, promising the opportunity for students to succeed. 

I hope that students feel a sense of community and consistency of expectations that helps them focus as a student with individual goals,” Farson said. 

Farson hopes that PBIS teaches students the importance of lifting others and being the best version of themselves.

Kim Choleva, the Wadsworth High School Parent-Teacher Organization president, believes that offering rewards to students will encourage them to make better choices.

“By providing rewards to students that may not otherwise be noticed for making positive choices instead of negative ones, we may start to see a more positive environment to work and learn,” said Choleva.

PBIS is an initiative that encompasses the entire student body, where every student gains recognition for choosing to make the right decisions.

Choleva hopes that instead of reprimanding students for their bad decisions, we start to recognize the good.