Wadsworth High Welcomes 2023 Homecoming Court

The court poses together after the king and queen are announced. After this, the Grizzlies took a victory over Stow with a score of 49-7. Photo by Riley Hunt.

Homecoming for Wadsworth High School was on October 7 while the homecoming game was the night prior. At this game, the homecoming court was walked onto the field and welcomed at half-time.  The candidates were voted for by the school. 

“I wanted to be on [the] homecoming court because I really wanted to be able to represent many different people,” said Lauren Sieber, homecoming court candidate. “I’m involved in quite a lot of things such as cheerleading, show choir, and drama. I wanted people to feel as if they could do this and to not be afraid to put themselves out there.”

The top eight candidates from the voting would show up to the homecoming football game on October 6, 2023, and the winner would be announced at halftime.

“My favorite part of the homecoming court experience was standing with all of the members of the court off the field before they announced king and queen,” said Brianna Stoner, homecoming court candidate. “We were all talking and laughing about what would happen next.”

The candidates would walk in pairs on the field where their names would be announced along with information about themselves.

“My favorite part was getting to walk on the field in front of everyone,” said Schmeltzer. “That was definitely fun and a little nerve-wracking.”

Wadsworth only offers the homecoming court for seniors, so the experience is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 

“I signed up for homecoming court simply because I thought it’d be fun,” Lemp said. “I figured that I only get to be a senior once, so why not.”

The students learned a lot from the homecoming court experience that they won’t forget.

“If I’ve learned anything from this, it would be to put yourself out there,” Lemp said. “Get involved with anything and everything you can. The memories you’ll make are so worth it in the end.”

Jacob Schmeltzer and Lotus Lemp won homecoming king and queen, respectively, from the eight homecoming court candidates at the home football game this past weekend.