Wadsworth spring cleanup week scheduled for the first week of may

BY LIZ GROMOFSKY

Spring cleaning is in full swing and people are eager to get rid of their junk. Wadsworth offers a spring clean-up week which is May 2 through the 6. Citizens are encouraged to put out their belongings that they do not want or need anymore and the city will come to pick them up off the curb.

David Sekala is the supervisor of the transfer station, the place that holds spring clean-up week. A transfer station is a place where trash is taken and condensed from across the city of Wadsworth before it is taken to the landfill.

Recycling bins can be found at the transfer station, Weatherstone Park, Wadsworth Buehler’s, and Friedt Park. Wadsworth High School has its own recycling bin where students put their material. Photo by Ashley Allwood.

“The main purpose of this specific week is to help the community who is not able to get extra trash picked up on a regular basis,” Sekala said. “This is when they have the opportunity to have it picked up.”

The city has no weight on how much they pick up during this week, as it can fluctuate so much from year to year.
“I can tell you that it is a good 30 to 40 percent more trash than normal [pickup],” said Sekala.

This week is set aside to collect trash that would not normally fit in a regular sized trash can.

“When my guys are all done [collecting the normal trash], they come around with a front-load truck that has a bucket on the front of it and they go back over the entire route a second time, picking up everything that was on the ground,” Sekala said. “Our normal trash trucks are automated so the only thing they pick up on the first run is the cans of trash.”
The trash that is eligible for pickup is trash that is nonchargeable. No furniture, bedding items, construction debris, or larger items are welcome for pickup.

“But if you have extra bags of trash, clothes, old junk from your basement, all of that can be picked up,” said Sekala.
Although none of the trash picked up will be recycled, there are four spots around Wadsworth that have recycling bins available to the public.

All of the trash that is picked up is taken to the Medina County Solid Waste District in Seville.