Wadsworth Christmas traditons

BY MADDIE SHAEFFER 

Each year, Wadsworth community comes together to celebrate Christmas. This year, Wadsworth Christmas traditions took place on December 2nd and 3rd. Traditionally, the Candlelight Walk is located in the square the first night. It is full of fun activities for kids of all ages. It starts off with the lighting of the tree at the Historical Society house, while the band plays holiday music.

“I enjoy playing the tannenbaum while the tree is being lit because it’s a holiday moment that unites Wadsworth,” said Ava Miller, 11, who plays percussion in the band.

The tannenbaum, which the band plays for this ceremony, is a German song that doesn’t actually refer to Christmas. It actually refers to the Silver Fir Tannenbaum tree and it’s symbol of faithfulness.

MBR
The tannenbaum tree is lit at the Gazebo in downtown. Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

Then, everyone heads over to the tree at the Gazebo to watch it light up for the Salvation Army Ceremony. After, horse and sleigh rides take place, along with mini train rides through downtown. At the library, pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus are open to the public. Usually, at the Strand Theater a musical or play is put on by the Wadsworth Footlighters. This year they put on the well known “A Christmas Carol”.

The next day, the Jingle Bell Jaunt Horse and Wagon starts off in the early morning at CIS. Throughout the day, ice sculptors are placed around the Gazebo while food trucks and a Christmas Market are set up. Then the Christmas parade brings holiday cheer to all around. Kids are excited as Santa rides in his sleigh.

Wadsworth community is always bringing joy to the town with the Candlelight Walk and all the exciting events that take place.

Wadsworth Christmas traditons