Chris Steele bowls perfect game, breaks multiple school records

BY LOGAN EGLESTON

Steele is not done breaking records and is hoping to pursue a few more before he graduates. Photo by Axel Mueller.

Most high school athletes can only dream of the things that make their careers a long-living legacy: breaking records, racking up wins, collecting a swath of awards and playing at the next level. For Wadsworth High School’s senior bowler Chris Steele, these dreams are very much a reality. 

Steele recently bowled a perfect 300 on January 22, but surprisingly this feat was just a small piece of Steele’s accomplishments. In the same night, he broke the school record for highest game and highest two-game series score, with the series score being a 578, which is also the second highest two-game series score in Suburban League history. 

“I was just reflecting about my career and I was disappointed with myself about not bowling a 300,” Steele said. “To do it in front of my home crowd, it was just amazing. I’m absolutely ecstatic.” 

In addition to the records he just recently set, he also holds a school record for highest three-game series, highest road two-game series, most All-Tournament team selections and First Team Suburban League selections. Steele stated that he is also going after a Suburban League record of highest average score with five remaining Suburban League meets. 

Chris Steele bowled a perfect game on Tuesday January 22, 2020. He also broke two school records the same night. Photo by Axel Mueller.

“Right now my eyes are on the state championship,” Steele said. “I missed it by very few pins last year, so I feel very humbled and I want to get back and finish what I started.” 

For most high school athletes, playing at the next level is just another starry-eyed dream. For Steele, it seems almost definite. 

“I’m stuck between two schools right now, Kent State and Walsh University,” Steele said on his college decision. “If I go to Kent, I’d be able to bowl in PBA events, which is something that I would not be able to do at Walsh, so I have a decision to make.” 

For Steele, the pins continue to fall and records shatter at every turn. As the Suburban League and regular season wraps up, perhaps the most decorated bowler in Wadsworth High School history looks to bring home a state title in the late winter.

[facebook url=”https://www.facebook.com/kolonybowl/videos/806330203218828/” /]