Girls basketball starts family off strong

BY MORGAN PORPORA

With a record of 19-4 in the 2018-2019 season, the Wadsworth girls’ basketball team looks to succeed within the suburban league and advance throughout the tournament in the 2019-2020 season. Beginning this year with a record of 2-1, the Lady Grizzlies are paving the way to accomplish these goals.

Ciena Mattany, 10, drives to the hoop during the game against Hudson. Photo courtesy of Ken Klemencic

“Our goals don’t change much from year to year,” said Coach Booth. “Number one, we want to win the Suburban League title, followed by a long tournament run. We believe in setting our goals high and working hard to achieve them, and this year is no exception in spite of our youthful roster. Nothing is ever guaranteed, especially with the loss of the senior class of the ‘19 season, but this group is determined to carry on the tradition of excellence that is Wadsworth Lady Grizzlies basketball.”

Maggie Long, 11, takes a shot in a game against Hudson. This basket helped the team secure the win. Photo courtesy of Ken Klemencic

Although it is still early in the season, having three upperclassmen out due to torn ACL’s has given underclassmen athletes the opportunity to step up.

“With E’anna being out, it has given me an opportunity to fill some pretty big shoes,” said Emily Rhoades, 10. “It has made me have to step up and help fill that missing role. She has been great at helping me out and giving me advice, but until she is back, I am just focusing on getting better for the team.”

Although Rhoades is prepared to meet these expectations, senior E’anna Won is hoping to return to the court in January.

“When I get back on the court, I plan to play with no regrets because I don’t know when it could be my last time playing,” said Won. “Although right now I am not on the court, I am on the sidelines helping and cheering the team on.”

With the optimism among the lady grizzles this early in the season, they are sure to be successful this year.