Grizzly Football dominates in season opener

BY BRIAN COOTE

The Wadsworth Grizzlies started off the football season by beating the Highland hornets 42-20 at Art Wright Stadium. 

The team started off the game with a home-opening win, marking it their 22nd consecutive victory in the regular season.

Fans stand behind The Bell as they watch the game. Students ring The Bell every time The Grizzlies score a touchdown. Photo by Axel Mueller

The team’s first game of the season began with them owning the scoreboard. Until the middle of the 2nd quarter, Wadsworth was 21-0. As the game picked up, Highland was able to bounce back with two touchdowns by the 3rd quarter, but the Grizzlies’ power kept them on their steady track to winning.

“We started off very strong,” Robby Kellner (11) a player on the team said. “We played very dominantly and explosive. I’m excited for our big games like Wooster and Hudson.” 

For the first game the student section was flooded with fans. The theme of the night was “white out” and students went all out for the game. The student section led the crowd in chants that encouraged the team. 

Fans in the student sections pound on the railings as the Grizzlies score another touchdown. Photo by Axel Mueller

“My favorite part about football is being around all my friends and cheering the team on,” stated Rachael Robinson Grizzly fan (11), “I’m looking forward to the Grizzlies hopefully going far in the playoffs.” 

The Football team huddles together as they look for guidance from Coach Todd. Photo by Axel Mueller

Students enjoy rooting for their classmates and watching them succeed on the field.  The season looks bright as Wadsworth football strives for another undefeated regular season.

The Grizzlies take on the Wooster Generals Friday, September 6th, at their home field as they charge through another game.