Sports Update: Mar. 1

BY JACOB MCDERMITT

Wrestling

The wrestling team won sectionals to advance to districts. Placing 1st in their weight class was Luke Baughman, 12, (138), Michael North, 12, (145), Dom Loparo, 11, (160), Mikey Lewarchick, 10, (113 pounds), Landen Hacker, 10, (120), , Logan Messer, 10, (152), Jon List, 10, (170), and Mason Brugh, 9, (106). Zach Linn, 12, and Hunter Griffin, 11, placed 2nd at 285 and 126 pounds, respectively. Jazz Jackson, 10, placed 3rd at 220 pounds and Mason Beal, 11, placed 4th at 195 pounds.

Girls Basketball

The 3rd seeded Lady Grizzlies upset the undefeated number 2 seed Hoban Knights in the district semifinal. Their season ended as the district runner-up with a 54-33 loss to Canton McKinley in the district final.

Boys Basketball

The boys basketball team lost 53-34 to Hudson to finish the regular season (9-12) overall and (6-8) in the Suburban League. They earned a 7 seed in the Barberton district and hosted 10th seeded Kent-Roosevelt in the first round, defeating them 51-34. They play head to Copley to face the 2nd seeded Indians on Saturday at 7:00 pm.

Boys Bowling

Chris Steele, 11, finished 34th and Cooper Wrobel, 12, finished 84th at districts.

Gymnastics

Jensen Heppner, 9, finished 18th on the vault, 24th on bars, and 17th in the all-around at districts. Emilee Loparo, 10, placed 33rd and Alyssa Talabac, 10, placed 35th at districts on the beam.

Boys Swim

Gabe Currens, 12, placed 16th at the State diving meet. John Edurese, 11, placed 16th in the 100 Butterfly preliminaries at states and again in the consolation round.

Girls Swim

Elyse Waldow, 11, placed 11th in the 100 Breaststroke at the state meet preliminaries and 13th in the consolation round.

The Lady Grizzlies basketball players celebrate their district semifinal upset of previously undefeated Hoban. Photo Courtesy of Roger Smith