Expectations have been raised

BY JOSH HAGANS

A year ago, the boys finished second overall in a difficult Suburban League and made it district quarterfinals falling short to Brunswick, ending their season with a 17-6 record but look to build upon their success from last season.

With only graduating one senior last year, the boys return nine letterwinners consisting of six seniors. The starting lineup returns with waiting upon the arrival of starting point guard, Christian Szalay, 12, who suffered a injury to his knee during football season a month ago.  

“I have been in this position before, I am going to do whatever it takes to get back on the court with my brothers,” said Szalay.

Christain Boys Basketball
Christian Szalay,12, a year ago leading the offense at point guard. Photo by Payton Banks

If the Grizzlies’ district was not hard enough, containing schools such as Stow-Munroe Falls and Archbishop Hoban, the Copley Indians have also just recently been added to the district. The Indians last year finished 23-2 and fell short to Jackson High School in the regional finals.

The Grizzlies season begins on December 8 at Nordonia High School and is quickly tested the following day playing at Archbishop Hoban.

“I think we have a very special team this year,” said starter Jacob Justice, 12. “We have a lot of people who worked hard the entire off season. I have high expectations for us and I am confident in what our team can achieve.”

The boys goals this year is winning the Suburban League title and making a run in the state tournament, making a name for themselves.

Stay tuned to the website for updated scores throughout the season.

Boys Basketball team pic
Boys varsity Basketball team showing off their new jerseys. Photo by Payton Banks