Jessie Crookston Reflects On Her Softball Career

Jessie Crookston in position to catch a low ball. Jessie has played on the Wadsworth softball team for three years, and is approaching her fourth year. Photo courtesy of Phil Masturzo.

Jessie Crookston has found success in softball by achieving outstanding statistics her freshman through junior year and committing to a Division 2 school. Jessie Crookston has played softball ever since she was about five years old and grew up watching and playing it with her family.
“From when I was a baby, I grew up on it from watching all my siblings play it,” Jessie Crookston said.
Jessie has three sisters who also had successful softball careers. Jessie is the youngest out of the four of them with the most successful statistics so far in her career.
Jessie Crookston not only watched her siblings play, but her mom also had major success in the sport as well. Jessie’s mom, Dani Crookston, played D1 softball at Akron University. Dani Crookston played on the Akron team from 1981-1984 and was named the 10th-best player on the softball team ever. Dani Crookston is also one of the two players on the team ever to have their number retired, meaning no one else can have that number. Dani Crookston retired the number eight from Akron’s softball team.

Jessie Crookston hitting a ball at the Wadsworth softball field. Crookston also plays shortstop, left field, and outfield. Photo courtesy Laura Shue.

Jessie Crookston’s mom’s success led to her and her siblings playing and loving the sport. Jessie Crookston is approaching her senior season and has had outstanding stats in the past three years she has played. Jessie hit .406 with 11 RBIs, scored 20 runs, and stole 17 bases as a sophomore. Jessie’s main position on the field is shortstop, but Jessie has also played left field and outfield. Jessie’s outstanding statistics have led her to commit to Malone to continue her academic and athletic careers.
Jessie Crookston is not only a good player on the field, but she is a good team player off the field as well.
“She is a quiet leader, she is not someone to boss other people around but still helps and bonds with her team,” said Kim Crookston, Jessie’s older sister, and her assistant coach for the past three years. Kim Crookston also played on the Wadsworth softball team from 2013-2017 and was a pitcher and outfielder. Kim also played college softball at Notre Dame College.
“Jessie is always early and prepared for practice everyday,” Kim Crookston said.
Jessie Crookston’s determination for the sport is shown through her commitment to the sport and her attitude. Jessie not only plays for the Wadsworth High School team but she also plays club softball in the off-season.
“My most recent club team I played on is called Diamond Chix, and it’s located out of Brunswick area,” Jessie Crookston said.
Sometimes it can be hard to not lose love for a sport, but for Jessie Crookston, this has not been a problem. Jessie Crookston has had many good memories from softball that keep her in love with the sport.
“Having my family always support me has kept me going and everything,” Jessie Crookston said. “And the team, because I have been playing travel since after rec, those teams that I have, those bonds and connection and teammates that I have continued even after some of them have quit, I am still friends with them.”
Lifelong memories have also played a role in Jessie Crookston’s love for the sport.
“My first home run has probably been my best memory because it was also my first grand slam at the same time, but my mom always remembered it so it stuck with me as well,” Jessie Crookston said.
Jessie Crookston’s success in softball is more than what meets the eye. It has taught her so many things about life and about working hard for something.