Wadsworth Alumni Kacie Evans Establishes Legacy At Georgia

After Kacie Evans left her legacy at Wadsworth High School during her 2015-2019 volleyball seasons, she brought her winning mentality to the University of Georgia. Now, after she has completed her five seasons with the Bulldogs, she has broken multiple records and is arguably one of the best female volleyball players that has seen the court of the Ramsey Center.
Evans showed so much potential during her middle school seasons at Wadsworth Middle School that colleges started to show interest in her. In eighth grade, she started attending college camps.
“I wasn’t fully prepared for that process yet,” Evans said. “I wanted to wait until I at least hit high school. So I started getting more involved when I was a freshman and sophomore, but 8th grade I went to certain camps that they had over the summer for their higher elite athletes they wanted to look for.”

Kacie Evans going up for a kill. She has had over 2,000 career points and 1,000 kills for the Bulldogs. Photo courtesy of Kacie Evans.

During her stellar seasons at WHS, Evans set multiple records, like most career kills, most kills in a season, and kills per set, amongst others. Evans was eager to commit to college, so she verbally committed to The University of Georgia her sophomore year. This college was one of the first colleges that initially saw her determination and winning mentality.
“I committed pretty early in the process,” Evans said. “In the most blunt way possible, I just wanted to be done with the whole thing. I knew I wanted to go to Georgia, the staff was great, it was very simple to know where I wanted to go after that.”
Evans wrapped up her high school career racking up a list of accomplishments. Then, she packed up her things and headed down to Athens, Georgia, to begin her long and successful career as a Bulldog.
Evans jumped right into her freshman year at Georgia as one of the six starters for the team, playing as an outside hitter. Head coach Tom Black had no doubt about her skills.

Kacie Evans playing defense for the University of Georgia. She is one of five All-Americans in the program. Photo courtesy of Kacie Evans.

“She was the best outside, for sure,” Black said.
Although she headed into her first year with very low confidence, she worked her way through the hardship and was able to start her freshman year off strong, receiving many awards very quickly in her career.
“My freshman self I was very low confident,” Evans said. “I didn’t really find the love of volleyball too much until maybe my junior year of college. Ironically with all the accolades I did receive I still wasn’t fully myself.”
Evan’s mindset and game completely flipped going into her senior year.
“My junior year going into my senior year I wanted to have this huge flip, being like I want the country to see the real me,” Evans said.
As a senior, she was awarded many accomplishments, like being named as the program’s first All-American since 2004, All-SEC performer, the Liz Murphy Female Athlete of the Year, and recorded her 1000th kill with the Bulldogs. In this season, she also led Georgia to a 23-8 season and a second-round appearance in the NCAA tournament. After her senior season, statistically, she was ranked as one of the best outside hitters in the nation.
After her senior year, Evans announced that she was not done and that she would be coming back for her COVID-19 season. With this season, she was named to the 2023 All-SEC team and AVCA All-Southeast Region team, joined the Double Grand Club, hit 2,000 career points, and has played the most volleyball sets ever at Georgia, cementing her name into the program forever.
“She’s developed in every way,” Black said. “She’s a super passionate player, she’s a gym rat, she eats, sleeps, and drinks volleyball, she was always hungry to get better and learn.”
Even after completing five seasons of college volleyball, Evans was still not ready to end her career. She recently announced that she would be playing professional volleyball with Atlanta Vibe.
“It’s something special, it’s something I’m glad I’m a part of,” Evans said. “It definitely hasn’t really soaked in yet, but I think the moment I step into the gym I’m going to be like ‘wow.’ It’s going to be a very big shock factor.”