Wadsworth Wrestling Competes in the Grizzly GIT

The Wadsworth wrestling team took 5th place out of 15 competitive teams at the Grizzly Invitational tournament on January 20, 2024 at Wadsworth High School. This tournament consisted of teams from all around Ohio and even some from out of state.  

“This tournament is special because we’re at home with all the guys and it’s a really good environment to be around,” said Senior Hunter Buckland. 

All individual scores are as follows below, but the one grizzly wrestler that specifically stood out in this tournament was Jaxon Joy. Joy was the champion of the 150 weight class and won the tournament’s award for “Most Outstanding Wrestler”. Joy recently broke the OHSAA Division one career takedown record with a takedown number of 796. This number will increase as Joy’s senior season continues on. 

During this tournament, many girls a part of the little sis program were present in order to help the tournament run smoothly. These girls keep track of all the wrestlers statistics as well as run the scoreboards and the merchandise booths. 

“The best thing about being a part of this program is getting to work and learn from my amazing advisors and starting with the other girls,” said Sophie Nadeau, a senior in the Little Sis program.

The Grizzly wrestling team will be heading to Highland High School on January 27th to compete in the Suburban League tournament. This tournament will determine which boys continue on to the State Dual Regional matches. 

Grizzly placers in the GIT:

106 – Blake Frantz 4th

113 – Ryan Schlauch 8th

126 – Kolten Mellon  5th

138  – Kaden Mellon 2nd

144 – Jack Dinwiddie 4th

157 – Hunter Buckland 7th

165 – Brody Grimm 4th

175 – Will Ries 7th

190 – Jake Earnest 8th

215 – Rory Nolan 7th