Wadsworth High Swimmers Celebrate Senior Night

Posters were displayed for all of the seniors with pictures from their years on the swim team. A total of ten swimmers were honored on Senior Night. Photo by Lizzy Edwards.

The Wadsworth swim team celebrated Senior Night on Wednesday, January 10. 

The Grizzlies competed against Stow. Before the meet began, the swimmers spent time talking with friends and family in the area outside the pool balcony, which was filled with posters for each of the ten seniors. 

“My favorite part of Senior Night was seeing everyone’s senior boards and getting to relive all those memories through the years,” said Chloe Ramsier, a senior on the girls’ team. 

The seniors were then introduced one by one and walked across the pool deck with their parents. Once all the seniors had been recognized, the meeting began. Although both teams fell to Stow, the Grizzlies were proud of their performance in the meet. 

“The team did very well,” said senior Camryn Henderson. “We had multiple personal bests, and a lot of people placed in each event for both girls and boys.”

Camryn Henderson walks with her parents, Dawn and Curtis, as she is honored on Senior Night. Henderson swam the 50 Freestyle. Photo by Lizzy Edwards.

For Henderson, a highlight of the meet was swimming the 50 Freestyle. Henderson was out all season with a shoulder injury but was able to swim the shortest event on Senior Night. Her performance was met with cheers and hugs from her teammates and family. 

“It was amazing,” Henderson said. “I had missed [swimming] so much, and seeing my teammates cheering me on was so motivating.”

The swim team practices and has lifting sessions both before and after school. Going through this rigorous practice schedule together has led the swimmers to form close bonds with one another. 

“The team is like a family,” Henderson said. “We all support each other not just on the pool deck, but in other aspects of our lives as well.”

For many of the seniors, the team aspect of swimming is what they will miss most about the sport after the season ends. 

“I’ll definitely miss my friends and the relationships I’ve made throughout my years on the team,” Ramsier said. 

The Grizzlies will compete in their next dual meet against Solon on January 19.