Wadsworth Boys Soccer Knock Out Wooster in Double-Overtime, Penalty Kick Win

Wadsworth Boys varsity soccer beat Wooster in the district semi-finals in a thrilling 2-2 tie, double overtime, and 10 penalty kick win last night at the Wooster General’s stadium.

Boys soccer team celebrating after Parker Russell scored the last penalty kick to win over the Wooster Generals. The team will play for district title against Medina on Saturday, October 28. Photo by Nancy James. 

The Wooster Generals, who were ranked #8, had a slow but aggressive start to the semi-finals game. While Wadsworth, who is ranked #9, kept most of the possession within the first 20 minutes of play, the Generals were able to score a goal with 16:34 left in the first half, putting them up first on the scoreboard. 

The Grizzlies, who are unfamiliar with the feeling of being down, were able to put themselves back up with two goals in the first half.

The first goal for the Grizzlies came from a high-speed breakaway that the Generals just could not keep up with. Senior and captain Michael Watson came sprinting down the midfield and played a ball that split right past two blue and yellow defenders and ended up perfectly at sophomore Kyle Nagel’s feet. Nagel then passed the ball right around Wooster’s young yet experienced goalkeeper, who finished the game with eight saves.

“I felt that I had pressure coming onto me, so I just looked up and saw Kyle making a great run,” said Watson. “Then he was just able to finish.”

The game went back to being back and forth with even possession and chances between the two teams.

Then, with only 29 seconds left in the first half, senior right outside midfielder Trent Patterson received the ball down the sideline, took a couple of touches, and shot a Hail Mary volley to the upper left corner.

The Grizzlies were up with a 2-1 lead going into the second half.

Three minutes into the second half, a Wooster forward got dragged down in Wadsworth’s penalty box, resulting in a penalty kick that Wooster scored with ease to put the scoreboard at 2-2.

This 2-2 tie stayed throughout the rest of regular time and into two fifteen-minute overtimes. The overtime was labeled as “golden goal,” meaning the game had turned into sudden death. 

WHS boys soccer team lining up to get announced before the district-semi finals game vs the Wooster Generals. The game went into double overtimes and a penalty kick shootout. Photo by Nancy James.

When the whistle blew after 110 minutes of back-and-forth play, both teams lined up on the 50-yard line to begin the make-or-break penalty kick shootout.

Each team kicked a total of 5 penalty kicks. Harrison James, Dominic Gambaccini, Michael Watson, Alex Innocenti, and Parker Russell gave the Grizzlies a perfect 5/5 performance.

“I knew we could all make our PK’s,” said Harrison James. “We’ve been practicing for this moment every practice. We know how to stay calm, place the ball, and get the outcome we want.”

Rory Nolan saved the fourth penalty kick taken by the Generals. All senior Parker Russell had to do was make his to send the Grizzlies into the district final match, and that he did.

The Wadsworth Grizzlies will play the Medina Bees on Saturday, October 28, at 2 p.m. at Brunswick High School for a chance to earn a district title.