Wadsworth Football wins Suburban League Title for the first time since 2019

Photo courtesy of Justin Todd
The Wadsworth varsity football team posses for a picture after winning the Suburban League Friday night. The boys played a great game even through the cold and wet conditions.

The Wadsworth Grizzlies football team beat the North Royalton Bears last Friday at Serpentini Chevrolet Stadium 49-0, giving the Grizzlies the Suburban League Championship title. 

This win allowed the Grizzlies to win the Suburban League outright with an undefeated league record and advanced their overall record to 8-2. The Wadsworth football team is now ranked third in the Division One Region One rankings. This was the first time that the football team has won the league outright since 2019.

Heading into the game Friday night, the players said they were both excited and nervous. In order to win the league outright, they had to beat North Royalton because a loss would have led them to have to share the Suburban League title with Hudson High School. This caused the team to spend Monday through Friday strategically preparing for this game.

“North Royalton didn’t have a very good record but we knew we had to prepare the same way we get ready for any game we play so that’s what we did in practice and on film,” said senior quarterback Will Stack.

Stack helped start off the game strong by throwing two touchdown passes to sophomore Gavin Madigan in the first quarter, and with two extra points kicked by junior Jack Dinwiddie, the Grizzlies started off in the first quarter 14-0.  

On the defensive side of the game, the Grizzlies’ defense proved to be extremely resilient against the Bears’ offense, allowing them to score zero points the entire game. 

“We always say that to win the Suburban League you have to be the most physical football team and to this point, we’ve proven that we have been able to control the trenches on both sides of the ball,” said Varsity Head Coach Justin Todd.

On Friday, October 27, the Grizzly football team will take on Brunswick High School for their first playoff game at Art Wright Stadium at 7 p.m.