Wrestling team looks to continue Suburban League dominance

BY QUENTIN GRIFFIN

With a rich history and a lineup primed to reach their goals, the wrestling team is looking for a lot of success this season.

The wrestling team is looking forward to making their way back to the top of the wrestling world. By returning 12 of their 14 starters from last season, the Grizzlies will have a lot of experience to solidify their lineup. One of those returning starters will be Joey Baughman, who was state runner up last year at 160 pounds.

“I am excited to see our young core of guys this year. They are extremely talented and have the ability to do big things this year,” said Baughman, 11.

The returning state runner up was named a captain, along with seniors Matt McMillen, Alex Jones and Cody Surratt. The varsity squad is also headlined by Michael North, a former Junior High OAC State Champion.

“I am excited to work with the team and push toward our team goal of winning a state title,” said North, 10.

The sophomore class adds a lot of talent, including the returning varsity wrestler and state qualifier, Luke Baughman. The tough early season schedule, including the Ironman and the St. Edward quad, will have the Grizzlies ready for any test the rest of the season has to offer such as going for their 25 Suburban League title in a row.

With 12 returning starters and a tough schedule, the Grizzlies will look to defend the Suburban league title.

wrestling
Wrestlers meet in the wrestling room to hear advice of their mentor, Coach G., speaking about a unified team. Photo By Nicholas James Landolph