Indians looking strong with less than a month to go until their opening day

The Cleveland Indians’ Francisco Lindor, right, celebrates with Jason Kipnis after hitting a two-run home run against the Toronto Blue Jays in the sixth inning during Game 1 of the American League Championship Series Friday, Oct. 14, 2016, at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The Indians won, 2-0. (Phil Masturzo/Akron Beacon Journal/TNS)

BY JOSH HAGANS 

The Indians off-season was eventful from the signing from the right handed slugger, Edwin Encarnacion, who averages 39 home runs a year and 110 RBIs, and veteran reliever, Boone Logan. They also look forward to returning many players that missed time from injuries last season. Indians return two starting pitchers, Carlos Carrasco, and Danny Salazar, along with catcher Yan Gomes. Michael Brantley is inching closer back to playing as he is still in rehab after only playing in eleven games last season. All these starters were out for the postseason last year only making you wonder if the outcome would have been different if they were all healthy.

“I can not wait to see what they do this year. I hope they can go all the way and win the whole thing,” said Mike Movsesian, 10.

For the most part, the remainder of spring training will be identifying the depth behind the major league roster. Most of the Tribe’s positions are locked up and the only question looming is what the outfield will look like. They await to see when Brantley will be able to return to action but they are not short handed. The Tribe has three other outfielders awaiting their opportunity including one of their top prospects, Bradley Zimmer who has put together an impressive spring training so far. The six-foot five, 220 pound outfielder has turned many heads by showing his power and speed and has shown his commitment to change his swing as he looks to find a permanent spot on the MLB roster.

CI_092314DC-0339.CR2
Fans are hoping for a Bratley return this season. Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

“I want to see Zimmer get a shot at the majors this year. He has size and power and I think he would fit in well,” said Dylan Kubilus, 11.

The Indians look to use last season as motivation and take it day by day knowing nothing will be given to them as they got to where they wanted last season but look to finish it off in 2017. With the Tribe one of the top teams in the MLB in the upcoming season, there is little doubt they can make a postseason run again.  

The Tribe will begin their season April 3rd at Texas and return on the 11th for their home opener.