Half days for midterms

Estela is one of the students working on her studies in the Titan Dreamers Resource Center on Monday, Nov. 28, 2016 at Cal State University Fullerton. Many of the students are concerned about what could happen under a Donald Trump presidency. (Mark Boster/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

BY LINDSAY CARR

Many surrounding schools allow students to leave after midterms the last week before Christmas break. Wadsworth is familiar with this idea for finals week, yet we still have full days for midterm week.

Shorter days would allow students more time to study for their midterms. Athletes especially have minimal time for studying during a normal school week with practices and games. Most sports are done by finals week and Wadsworth still has half days, but during midterms sports are still in session and school days are normal length. It is only fair to have half days for finals and half days for midterms if they are the same type of testing.

Shorter days would also reduce stress levels of students who have holiday shopping and activities to do. Struggling with time management can cause people to feel stressed and overworked. With holidays, vacations and sports all going on in addition to school, students have a hard time fitting studying into their schedules.

Many Wadsworth students and teachers have relatives in college that will be home for a week or so before the high schoolers get out. Because of this, they are not able to spend as much time with their families as they would if we were to have half days.

“My family comes a full week before Christmas, so the limited time I have at home during the school week is spent cramming for midterms,” says Emily Dennison, 11.

December is supposed to be a month full of holiday festivities, shopping, baking, and spending time with our families. Instead, students spend their days stressed out and anxiously waiting for the beginning of break and the end of exams.

“It is the happiest season of all, and it is about family and friends. It should not be about stressing over which final you want to fail first,” says Kenzie Grice, 11.

Half days for midterms would free schedules, reduce stress levels and help everyone get into the holiday mood.

Schools create moments of calm for stressed-out students
Students prepare for annual midterms. Photo Courtesy of MCT Campus

Half days for midterms