Carys Haughn Wins AHHS Showing Championship

Photo+Courtesy+of+Carys+Haugh.+
Photo Courtesy of Carys Haugh.

Carys Haughn, a senior at Wadsworth High School, has won The American Hackney Horse Showing Championship. The American Hackney Horse Society, AHHS,  specializes in showing and breeding hackney horses. AHHS works to promote the hackney breed and increase awareness of the Hackney horses through horse shows. 

“Being involved in the show horse industry is definitely something I am working towards,” said Carys Haughn, a senior at WHS. 

Haughn assists her horse trainer at lessons and shows, along with showing horses and being a member of AHHS. Haughn is also interested in pursuing different forms of therapy for horses. 

“I would like to provide shock wave therapy, magna wave therapy, and red light therapy for horses,” Haughn said. 

Haughn has been passionate about horses from a young age. 

Carys Haughn performed at The American Royal National Championship Horse Show. Haughn was the National Champion for Hackney harness driving, Reserve National Champion for hackney pony pleasure driving, and Reserve National Champion for roadster pony driving. Photo courtesy of Carys Haughn.

“One of my first words was horse, and I started asking to ride horses when I was 2,” Haughn said.

She has been involved with AHHS since 2019 and riding and showing horses for eleven years. In the championship, she competed in 5 national classes. 

To prepare for competitions and shows Haughn spends time in the barn with her horse. Haughan uses special wrist and ankle weights when training to improve strength.

“All of those help to build up my muscles, so I can keep up with the horse and make them pretty while making it look effortless,” Haughn said. “I have lessons at least 3 times a week, but I am usually there five days a week. On weekdays I am there 12-5, and weekends I am there 9-5. This is when I ride or drive my horse and ponies to practice my technique and make sure I am doing my best to make them look good during a show.”

Before horse shows Haughn has the tasks of setting up and tearing down temporary stables and preparing the equipment that is used. During shows, Haughn works with her horse to impress the judges.

“When you are in the show ring, there can be up to 18 other horses in your class. This can make it very tricky sometimes to make your horse look the best and to make sure the judges see your horse looking good,” Haughn said. 

Judges look for different aspects of showing in different classes. At competitions, the judges observe the behavior and presentation of the horse and the control and performance of the rider. 

“This is my last year showing as a junior exhibitor, and it was an amazing way to end my junior exhibitor career,” Haughn said.