Wadsworth showcases students in 22nd Annual Fine Arts Assembly

BY KAITLYN SETERA

Wadsworth High School held its 22nd Annual Fine Arts Assembly on Tuesday, May 2. Those who attended were left amazed by the talent of many students through a series of performances and presentation of awards. 

The Wadsworth Winter Guard team started off the assembly performing their emotional routine entitled “The Missing Piece.” The number went along to Kelly Clarkson’s song “Piece by Piece,” and told a story of how marriage restored the belief of family faith in a woman who was abandoned by her father at a young age.

The choir put on an outstanding performance as well, singing and dancing to popular hits from familiar films. Women’s chorus sang  “One Fine Day” from the movie Rags to Riches, the elite choir sang “Can’t Stop the Feeling” from Trolls and show choir sang “I’m a Believer” from Shrek. 

Emily Brazier represented the Speech and Debate team with her award-winning dramatic interpretation, “I Got Sick, Then I Got Better.” Her speech won her a state championship and covered the serious topic of cancer diagnostics. Those in the crowd were given chills and found the speech to be very moving.

The drama department was proud to showcase the talent of its cast members from the winter musical, Aida. The group performed “Gods Love Nubia,” and wowed audiences with their powerful vocal ranges.

The jazz band, an annual highlight of the fine arts assembly, played “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “Sing, Sing, Sing.”

To close the assembly off, the National Honor Society was honored to present Mr.William Schmeltzer Sr. with the Teacher of the Year award. Mr. Schmeltzer Sr. is chemistry teacher and coach at the high school. He plans to retire at the end of this school year.

Not only did the school successfully showcase the talent here at WHS, but many other students received awards as well.  The assembly was an eye-opener to many students and helped to promote further fine arts appreciation.

All photos by Anna Bowling and Lauren Knipl