Fake trees, real Christmas spirit

OPINON BY JILLIAN CORNACCIONE

With America’s beloved holiday right around the corner, the friendly festive debate continues over which Christmas tree is better; fake or real. 

The Christmas tree is the focal point of the holiday season for most families in America. People have been discussing the two contrasting types ever since artificial trees were first developed during the 19th century, and they have grown drastically in popularity over the years.

Those who go to a tree farm with family and pick out a genuine Christmas tree cherish this annual tradition and take great satisfaction in the fresh scent of real pine and nature in their home. 

Galehouse Tree Farm in Doylestown, Ohio, allows families to walk around the tree farm and look through a various selection of trees. Photo by Abby Wichterman

Others, who are looking for a more convenient and tidy setup prefer to buy a plastic tree at the store. 

After weighing the pros and cons of both, an artificial Christmas tree seems to be the most beneficial choice to put up and decorate during the holiday season because it is time efficient, cost effective, and there is no maintenance necessary. 

Artificial Christmas trees are less time consuming. There is no struggle of searching through a countless number of trees to find the one that best fits your expectations. It is much more convenient to drive to the local store and choose a tree from the large assortment that is easily and quickly transferable to your home. 

“My family and I bought our fake tree at the store,” said Danielle Cheff, 12. “We don’t need to go search for one at a tree farm because we would rather use our free time and money to decorate it and our whole house together every year. Decorating the tree is an enjoyable tradition that we can do from the comfort and warmth of our home.”

Plastic trees remove the inconvenience of having to choose a tree from a lot and allow for a much more time efficient setup.

Moreover, in the long run, an artificial Christmas tree is more affordable than a live tree. A fake tree does not rot and lasts about six years on average, while a real tree would need to be disposed of and replaced every year. 

“My family prefers a fake Christmas tree because it lasts a lot longer,” said Ryan Pappas, 12. “It’s also much safer since it’s not extremely flammable.” 

Without having to buy a new tree each year, the extra money could be put toward spending on other decorations to make your home festive for the holiday season or gifts for friends and family. 

Artificial trees make setting up for Christmas easier and do not reacquire as much maintenance as a real tree. Photo by Jillian Conrnaccione

Fake trees do not need to be taken care of, as opposed to live trees which need constant maintenance. Real trees must be watered and can become a fire risk if they are not maintained correctly. They shed their pine needles and make a mess on the floor. Fake trees, on the other hand, do not need water, are much safer in the sense that they are flame retardant, and they don’t make a huge mess in your home.

After Christmas, disposing of a real tree can be a hassle, while a fake tree can be left up much longer to preserve the holiday spirit. Following the holidays, artificial trees are easily disassembled and stored to be used the following year.

Artificial trees are the most convenient, economical, and safest way to make your home festive for the holiday season.