WHS band takes Chicago

BY ABBY MAGYAR

The Wadsworth High School Band and Color Guard went to Chicago, Illinois for their 2017 Spring Trip. The WHS Band takes big trips every other year. Since 2017 is a an odd year, the band went to Chicago.

On Friday, March 31st, WHS Band and Color Gaurd, met in the PAC for an early morning check in. Once the band chaperone’s knew everyone was there, they loaded the charter buses and the Band and Color Gaurd were off to Chicago. Once the WHS Band got to Chicago, they saw attractions like Cloud Gate, otherwise known as, “The Bean”. Later that evening, they saw ABBA’s “Mamma Mia” at the Marriott Lincolnshire Dinner Theater.

“Mama Mia was very realistic. I love how the show felt so interactive towards the audience,” said Gabby Depamphilis, 11.

On Saturday, April 1st, the WHS Band and Color Guard went to the Shedd Aquarium to look at different types of animals. There were animals such as penguins, dolphins, a variety of fish, amphibians, and many more.

Then the Band and Color Guard went to the Navy Pier. The Navy Pier has attractions such as restaurants, boats, theaters, and shopping centers. Also at the Navy Pier was The Centennial Wheel, the 200 ft ferris wheel.

Later that evening, the WHS Jazz Band performed at the top of the John Hancock Center. The John Hancock Center is a one thousand foot skyscraper that looks out over Lake Michigan.

“The view on the observatory level of the John Hancock center was my favorite part. It was so extraordinary to see so many buildings, lake Michigan, and the amount of cars on the ground,” said Payge Miller, 11.

On Sunday, April 2nd, The WHS Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Ensemble performed at the Field Museum in Stanley Field Hall. This Hall is made of marble and has a tall ceiling. This means that sound shoots up in the air, making any sound clearly evident.

“It was fun to see the amount of people that stopped to hear the WHS Band play,” said Gabby Depamphilis, 11.

After the Field Museum, Color Guard went to an Intrigue Dance and Performing Arts Center to learn tips for their routines during Marching Band.

photo by brittany hutchison
Kayla Horstman, 12, Mr. Piehl, Libby King, 12, Brittany Hutchison, 12, and Sydney Points, 11, standing in front of Cloud Gate. Photo courtesy of Brittany Hutchinson

Later that evening, the WHS Band saw Blue Man Group perform at the Briar Street Theater. Blue man group is a group that has three drummers who combine playing drums with comedy.

“My favorite part of the show was when these people were late and they stopped their show to acknowledge the presence of the late people,” said Payge Miller.

On Monday, April 3rd, the WHS Band and Color Gaurd Checked out of the hotel and went to the Museum of Science and Industry. The Museum of Science and History is the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere.

The WHS Band departed for Wadsworth mid-monday afternoon and returned to WHS around 10:30pm. The WHS Band unloaded the buses and found their parents in preparation to return home.

The WHS Band Trip was filled with fun, adventure, and new experiences.

Chicago Skyline
The city of Chicago lit up at night. Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

WHS band takes Chicago