Opinion: Top 13 Best Taylor Swift Songs

Whether you love or dislike her songs, there is no denying the fact that Taylor Swift is a master-class musician with intricate lyricism, intense advocacy to issues she feels strongly about and immense love towards her fans. Swift has dominated the charts, won many awards, and broken records across all platforms. If one thing is for sure, Swift will go down in music history. In honor of the release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” by Swift, I have decided to release, in my opinion, Swift’s best songs, by analyzing her lyrics and the storytelling, the songs production, and the emotion the song provokes.

1. “The Other Side Of The Door (Taylor’s Version)” (Fearless (Taylor’s Version))

It was a hard choice as to which song would make it into the top 13. There were plenty of good options that could have breached the list, but “The Other Side Of The Door” is the correct choice. I still cannot comprehend how Swift wrote the lyrics at the age of 19. The lyrics show longing for a relationship to begin. This song was only the beginning of Swift’s immense talent in songwriting.

Favorite lyric: I said, “Leave”, but all I really want is you/To stand outside my window, throwing pebbles screaming, “I’m in love with you”

1. “Getaway Car” (reputation)

“Getaway Car” is the song that you cannot get out of your head after listening to it. The insanely catchy lyrics and the instrumental pull the song together and is the reason it made the top 13. The song perfectly shows how fun someone had in a relationship, but still left to better themselves. Swift flawlessly compares that aspect of a relationship to being a criminal. The best parts of the relationship was where they were criminals, but the person leaving is them right before they get caught, and knowing they have to leave. 

Favorite lyric: We were jet-set, Bonnie and Clyde/Until I switched to the other side, to the other side/It’s no surprise I turned you in/‘Cause us traitors never win

1. “Style (Taylor’s Version)” (1989 (Taylor’s Version))

From the minute the song plays, you know “Style” is going to be good. The guitar intro into the song hooks you from the start. The intense beat throughout the song is different than any other song Swift has done, setting it apart from the rest. The lyrics tell the story of someone falling in love with someone they know is bad for them. The songwriting in the song is very catchy, yet thorough and so well written. “Style” is one of the greatest pop songs ever released, no doubt in my mind. 

Favorite lyric: Long drive/Could end in burning flames or paradise

1. “New Romantics (Taylor’s Version)” (1989 (Taylor’s Version))

“New Romantics” perfectly shows what pop music is. If you want to introduce someone to pop music, the first song you should play is “New Romantics.” The beat, production, and lyrics are excellent, and define “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” as a whole. The album itself would not be complete without this song.

Favorite lyric: The best people in life are free

1. “Better Man (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)” (Red (Taylor’s Version))

Swift’s raw, emotional voice with her cut throat lyrics are why this song is so great. Swift truly opened her heart with “Better Man” and showed her fans emotion that she had never shown us at the time. Swift originally wrote this song for her album “Red,” but let Little Big Town use the song for themselves. During her re-records, she decided to release her version as a “From The Vault” track. Thankfully she released her version, because I do not know a world without it.

Favorite lyric: And it was always on your terms, I waited on every careless word/Hoping they might turn sweet again like it was in the beginning

1. “You’re Losing Me (From The Vault)” (Midnights)

Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional rollercoaster I would go on while first listening to this song. “You’re Losing Me” is one of Swift’s most heartbreaking songs, telling the story of someone feeling like their partner and them are drifting apart in their relationship. As the song progresses, the song intensifies not only in production, but in lyricism. It perfectly represents the build up of issues in a relationship, and finally letting go of them because the burden got too heavy. 

Favorite lyric: And I wouldn’t marry me either/A pathological, people pleaser/Who only wanted you to see her

1. “Timeless (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)” (Speak Now (Taylor’s Version))

“Timeless” perfectly shows the story of two lovers who were meant to be together. Even if they were forcefully separated, they would still find each other. Swift’s beautiful storytelling in “Timeless” encapsulates what true love really means. It stands out against Swift’s other love songs and is one of the best romance songs ever released. It is a shame that this song was hidden from us for 13 years. 

Favorite lyric: Time breaks down your mind and body/Don’t you let it touch your soul

1. “tolerate it” (evermore)

When I first listened to “tolerate it,” I was first blown away by the songwriting. Swift was able to paint a beautiful picture of someone who is just being tolerated by their significant other. She used many metaphors to describe the story, while also making the listener relate to the song. Swift makes you feel deep emotions by the end of this song, emotions not every song of hers has, and that is why it makes the top 13.

Favorite lyric: I made you my temple, my mural, my sky/Now I’m begging for footnotes in the story of your life

1. “cowboy like me” (evermore)

In “cowboy like me,” Swift tells the story of two con artists who fall in love with each other. She perfectly shows the feeling of love in a relationship that you know you should not be in. Swift took a different approach when writing folklore and evermore, by writing stories that were not autobiographical. Creating the story of two con artists was different than anything she had done before, but she executed perfectly.

Favorite lyric: Now you hang from my lips, like the Gardens of Babylon/With your boots beneath my bed, forever is the sweetest con

1. “cardigan” (folklore)

The lead single from Swift’s album folklore, “cardigan” tells the story of someone looking back on a relationship from decades ago. Realizing they have grown as a person ever since they left them, but still reflecting and never forgetting it. The production by Swift’s co-producer Aaron Dessner matches Swift’s lyricism so well in “cardigan,” and is one of the best songs the two have worked on together. The main reason “cardigan” made the top 5 of the list is its bridge. The bridge is a perfect example of Swift’s immense talent when it comes to songwriting and it shines above the rest.

Favorite lyric: A friend to all, is a friend to none

1. “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)” (Red (Taylor’s Version))

If anyone can perfectly execute a ten minute song, it is Taylor Swift. Originally a five minute song, Swift released the full ten minute version of the song amidst the re-release of her album, “Red.” “All Too Well” perfectly shows the emotions of a breakup, and when the song is ten minutes long, you are able to show more of the entire story. From the beginning of the relationship, the breaking point, and the recovery. Thankfully Swift’s fans pestered her enough to finally release the full version of this song, because if they had not, we would not have the masterpiece of a song that we do today.

Favorite lyric: You kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath

1. “ivy” (evermore)

The story of a married woman in an affair, “ivy” perfectly shows the fear that comes with infidelity. Swift shows the woman’s fear of her husband finding out about the relationship, and also shows the woman’s want for the affair to be over, but cannot give it up. The metaphors within the song are unlike anything in Swift’s other songs and are some of the best comparisons she has ever written.

Favorite lyric: How’s one to know?/I’d meet you where the spirit meets the bone/In a faith forgotten land

1. “the lakes” (folklore)

Swift’s best song in her discography, without a doubt, is “the lakes.” The bonus track on her album, folklore, was inspired by her trip to The Lakes District in northern England. Many poets went there to spend the rest of their days, and Swift reflects that solitude in her song. She compares the longing of escapism with her rise in fame over the years in such a beautiful and whimsical way. Every time I listen to this song, I cannot get over Swift’s songwriting and use of articulate words, such as “calamitous” and “insurmountable.” There is no uncertainty when I say that “the lakes” is Taylor Swift’s best song.

Favorite lyric: “A red rose grew up out of ice frozen ground/With no one around to tweet it”

Other songs by Swift that almost made the ranking: “Tied Together With A Smile,” “Sparks Fly (Taylor’s Version),” “Red (Taylor’s Version),” “Begin Again (Taylor’s Version),” “You Are In Love (Taylor’s Version),” “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault),” “Cruel Summer,” “Cornelia Street,” “this is me trying,” “Maroon

View Comments (2)

Noah Johnson
Noah Johnson, Staff Writer
Noah Johnson has been on the Bruin staff for one year, as well as the introductory course. He joined to learn more about journalism and get the experience that being a news writer brings. The story he is most proud of is "Taylor Swift Reclaims Her Masters With Newest Re-Record." Noah hopes to become a museum curator after he finishes college. His passions include music, history, and travel. He loves to visit new places and see the world. His favorite place he has visited is Boston.

• V

vivNov 6, 2023 at 4:39 pm

dang i’m gonna have to listen to these. nice picks!

Reply
  • Z

ZackOct 31, 2023 at 6:57 pm

Should have asked for a school wide vote

Reply