Carpentry students build for Habitat for Humanity

BY MADDIE SHAEFFER

Wadsworth Career Tech Carpentry students have reached out to the community by building houses for those in need. With the help of supervisor Mr. Kallai, these students provided families with new homes.

Habitat for Humanity of Medina County was founded in April of 1991. They work to provide affordable and well put together homes for people who need them. Through this charitable group, Wadsworth community was given two homes to construct.

The carpentry students helped build two homes that were finished in December. It took them about three and a half months to build the two. The houses are located on Broad Street.

“They heard we needed some work for the seniors, so we hooked up,” said Mr. Kallai when asked about getting involved in Habitat for Humanity.

The students were not on their own in this process. Many community members contributed to the project. For the students, it was easy for them to put their work to good use.

The carpentry team started their part while it was in the middle of being built.

“It was not difficult starting out because we had help along the way and it was no different than any other job site,” said Demel Curry, 12.

Each student felt very successful with their achievements in the end and they look forward to being able to help Habitat many more times after their high school career.

“Finishing the homes was the best because we got to see all the progress we made,” said Jared McGreevy, 12.

They will be starting another project in January and hope to do another one before the school year ends. With this, they will have done four homes for this school year.

When asked if they would be interested in doing it again, Mr. Kallai said, “Yes, anytime when they want us to!”

carpentry-house-hs-19
Danny Harvack, 12, and Brandon Saylor, 12, took a deeper look into what they could do next for the home. Photo courtesy of Yearbook