Virtual baccalaureate begins celebration of 2020 seniors

BY BRIANNA BECERRA

This final weekend in June is a monumental weekend for the class of 2020, as the seniors are celebrating their departure from WHS. The celebrations began with baccalaureate on June 25, which was a virtual ceremony that seniors were able to watch with their families. Though the seniors were unable to be together in person, the virtual ceremony was created in the hopes of providing closure for the class of 2020.

The ceremony began with a short and somber message from student body president Logan Egleston. He spoke about the memories the class of 2020 made together at Junior Banquet last spring and grieved for the loss of the memories they would have experienced together this spring. His message ended with a hopeful description of the senior class, stating that they are compassionate and value unity.

The presentation continued by highlighting this year’s band seniors. This was followed by the 2020 choir seniors singing “Seasons of Love”. The music set the mood for the rest of the ceremony.

Reverend Daniel Doty of Westerville Community United Church of Christ addressed the class of 2020 next, congratulating them on their accomplishments. He delivered Biblical lessons and shared anecdotes in order to encourage the graduating seniors to live their lives to the fullest.

Katie Doty, graduating senior and daughter of Rev. Doty, was grateful for the virtual ceremony.

“I felt that because we had gone through what we had to, the baccalaureate service seemed more special and specific to us,” said Doty. 

After Rev. Doty’s address, a slideshow of “The Rose” Dedication Ceremony played, featuring graduating seniors and their families. The photos showed the students presenting their families and friends with roses, thanking them for the part they played in their high school experience.

Kaye Wolfinger, Director of Young Peoples Ministries at the United Methodist Church, followed the Rose Ceremony with a benediction. She gave a message of love and support to close out the ceremony.

Katie Doty reflects on the importance of the baccalaureate ceremony and shares her excitement for the events that will occur for the seniors this weekend.

“Although I wish we could do everything like normal, I appreciate the effort that the school has gone through to make sure we have the best experiences we can for the end of the year,” said Doty. “I hope we have fun as our last times together as a class before we enter the real world.”

Mikayla Looper, another graduating senior, shares similar sentiments to that of Doty.

“I really hope that this weekend will make it feel like high school is coming to a close,” said Looper. “I’m sad about it all ending but I’m also excited to start another chapter of my life.”

The 2020 baccalaureate ceremony can be watched again via YouTube.