Lady Grizzlies get their revenge

Lady Grizzlies get their revenge

BY CHRISTIAN SZALAY

The Lady Grizzlies took one of their only defeats to Suburban League rival Stow on December 6. The Bulldogs came in and pushed the Grizzlies around. The loss helped to fuel the ladies to come back stronger and get their revenge.

“It really hurt to take a defeat so early in the season to our rival. I knew we would come back and play our hearts out the next time we played them. It was a huge win,” said Sophia Fortner, 12.

The Suburban League hopes are still alive for the Lady Grizzlies as they control their own destiny as they share the top spot in the league with Stow.

Beating a team like Stow does not just happen from luck, players needed to step up and they did. Sophia Fortner led the Grizzlies with 22 points, a career high. She also helped by leading the team in assists with four. Peyton Banks, 12, also had a solid night with 13 points.

“It was great to see everyone step it up in the second half to cut the lead Stow had against us, it was a great win for us as a team,” said Maddie Movsesian, 12.

Playing from behind the whole night, it was only right to finish the game on a 13-0 run. With clutch free throws from Fortner, the Grizzlies were crowned victorious in a Suburban League showdown with their arch rivals. The Lady Grizzlies showed that they deserve the SLT by winning the biggest game since the 2016 State Championship and they are hungry for more.

Untitled
Lady Grizzlies celebrate after huge play by Sophia Fortner. Photo courtesy of Maddie Movsesian