Girls soccer battles to Suburban League title

BY KAI WAGNER

The Wadsworth girls soccer team has been under pressure to win the Suburban League title since the beginning of pre-season.

They set their sights high and have proven to be as tactical as they are made out to be. The girls’ season record was 9-2-1, with an outstanding record of 6-0 in the league, and have finally secured the title of Suburban League champs.

Earlier this season, the girls defeated a tough Twinsburg team 2-1 to advance their record farther into the lead in the league’s standings. Their last win against North Royalton, gave the girls the satisfaction of being crowned Suburban League champions. The starting keeper for Wadsworth, Jordan Barnhart, has been on top of her game this year. On multiple occasions she has been seen “saving” the team from many ties or losses.

The on-point keeper, Jordan Barnhart says, “Our team play is great, we are clicking really well right now. With how well we are playing, I see a Suburban League title.” Barnhart was interviewed before the girl’s team clinched the league.

soccer-2.jpg
Jordan Taylor, 12, fights for the win conquering the League title. Photo by Adam Darwich

The girls soccer team has realized their strong potential and their run in the tournament should be well-rounded and most likely won’t end soon. They are working to get another shot at the Medina Bees who beat them in the midst of the season 2-0. The hard-fought game was physical and played hard until the final whistle.

Hailey Barfuss, a sophomore on the team, who scores more often than not, would love another shot at the Bees.

“Having another shot at Medina would be huge. A win against them would put a big target on our back. If we have all our injured players back, I think we would put up a good fight,” said Barfuss. 

The girls soccer team continues to improve and shock the soccer conference. Their hopes are looking high as they enter the final stage of the season on a 9-2-1 record. 

Girls soccer team
Mia Gambaccini, 11, battles the North Royalton Bears to a Suburban League title. Photo by Adam Darwich