Grizzlies Abroad Plans New Trips

This map shows the locations Grizzlies Abroad travelers will be seeing on the Greece trip in the summer of 2025. Graphic courtesy of Eric Heffinger.

Grizzlies Abroad is traveling to Greece in the summer of 2025. The trip will occur during the first week of June, from the 5th to the 14th.
The first four days of the Greece tour include sightseeing in the mainland of Athens and the last four days consist of traveling by cruise from island to island.
“[The reason I am going on the trip is because] I think this trip will be super fun,” said Nate Banks, freshman at Wadsworth High School. “[I am most excited for] the cruise portion of the trip.”
There was an informational meeting on February 21, 2024, that introduced the trip and showed students and their parents how to sign up for the travels. The meeting took place in the PAC at 7.00 pm.
“I think its good for the students to learn how to travel and how to use the airport in a place that they don’t know the culture or languages,” said Jason Knapp, AP U.S. and European History teacher and chaperon on Grizzlies Abroad trips.

This photo is from when Grizzlies Abroad went to Europe during the spring break of 2023. Students, teachers, and family posed in front of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Photo courtesy of Chris Sieber.

Travelers will be visiting places like Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, and Mykonos. The travel is not a vacation, it is a trip, so the days will be full of activities.
“They also fit a lot of different subject areas, whether it be language, social studies, language arts, or STEM fields,” Knapp said.
There is a second trip scheduled for June 4-17, 2026. Grizzlies Abroad is going to Ecuador in the first two weeks of summer 2026.
The main focus of this trip to Ecuador are Andes, Amazon, and Galapagos. The excursion is an adventure tour of Ecuador.
Students get the chance to hike a volcano in the Andes, explore the Amazon Rain Forest, white water rafting, snorkel in the Galapagos Islands, and more.
“These trips are very educational, without a doubt,” Knapp said. “They are true field trips.”
An informational meeting and registration for the Ecuador trip will be held after spring break.
Grizzlies Abroad’s goal is to make learning real and relevant for high school students. They aim to expand worldviews and create an educational experience through international travel.
“It’s a real growth experience, for everybody,” Knapp said. “That’s our mission, to take education out of the classroom.”
If students are interested in either the Greece trip in 2025 or the Ecuador trip in 2026, they can scan the QR code to learn more.
“I am most excited for the food and the scenery,” said Caitlin Orr, a sophomore at Wadsworth High School. “I’ve never been outside of the country before so I am really excited for this new experience.”
Everything is handled by Explorica, as far as the payments. A benefit of going on trips with the school is that the group rate is much cheaper than trying to travel alone. The travel cost to go to Greece is $5041.
“This is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience, that’s why I want to go,” Orr said.
2024 seniors are not eligible for travel on the Greece trip, and 2025 seniors are not able to go on the Ecuador trip.