Art Club Hosts Anti-Vaping Art Contest

Sponsored By Medina County Health Department
On top of the Anti-Vaping Art Contest, the Art Club also does other projects for the school. In the winter, the Art Club decorated posters to hang in the Media Center Windows to decorate for the holiday season. Photo by Maia Edwards.
A student’s drawing of one of the anti-vaping submissions portrays a person vaping. This was created by Maggie Katafiasz. Photo by Maia Edwards.

Wadsworth High School’s Art Club is hosting a contest to promote anti-vaping.
“Students are designing an anti-vaping poster sponsored by the Medina Health Department. All of the students who enter work will get gift cards and the top three designs win prize money” said Dave Derrig, Art Teacher at WHS. “Hopefully the winning poster will be hanging in the school by the end of the year.”
To be able to participate in this contest, students must be a members of the Art Club.

Facts about the harmful effects of vaping are shown along with the parts of the body that it affects. This was created by one of the art club students. Photos by Maia Edwards.

“The [Medina County] Health Department came to talk to the students about the dangers of tobacco last fall. Students had to be in attendance to participate in the contest,” Derrig said.

Students in the Art Club have split into groups to work on the project, some are working individually.

Grace Sharp and her group plan to create a poster with two paths.
“We’re doing like a foggy forest with two paths of a really druggy, dirty path and then a clean, nice path,” said Grace Sharp, a freshman member of the Art Club.
A combination of Art Teachers, members of the Medina County Health Department, and other teachers at the high school will help to decide who the winner of this contest will be.
There were some guidelines when working on the posters; students were not allowed to show people smoking, or portray a person using a drug.
“One girl is blowing air and then just a cigarette because we’re not allowed to have people smoking, but we can have a person and a vape on the other side of the poster,” Sharp said.
The winners of the contest get prizes.
“I believe the winning design gets 300 dollars and their poster hangs in the school,” Derrig said.
There are also 2nd place, 3rd place, and participation prizes available to students.
“1st place gets 300 dollars, 2nd place gets 200 dollars, 3rd place gets 100 dollars,” Sharp said. “Anyone after that gets 25 dollars.”