Treecycling Boxes at Wadsworth High Allow Students To Recycle Their Old Devices

This box is one of the many recycling boxes scattered around the school. On the side of each box, there is a trees planted value chart. Photo by Riley Hunt.

The organization Phones for Trees has brought their treecycling boxes to Wadsworth High School. 

The treecycling boxes are brought by the organization Phones for Trees where the project is to get people to recycle their old devices to plant trees all around the world. Throughout the remainder of the school year students can bring in a wide variety of electronic devices and put them in the box (as long as they fit through the opening and are not chargers). At the end of the year, they will open the currently locked box and send all the devices that have been placed inside to the MCPC, Manage. Connect. Protect. Consult, where they will recycle/refurbish them, and where per U.S. regulations they will securely wipe all remaining data. After they are recycled/refurbished every dollar received from the recycling proceeds will go to the organization One Tree Planted where they will then be in charge of planting the trees. Depending on the device brought in, how new it is, and how many devices are inside the box, many trees can be planted as a result. The organizations along with Woźniak, a Spanish teacher and the leader of the Recycling club at WHS are hoping the treecycling boxes are valued across the community in hopes to get more schools, libraries, and other establishments to also welcome treecycling boxes. 

“Please donate your used electronic devices,” Woźniak said.

Commonly asked questions: answered by Señorita Woźniak

What types of devices does the box accept?

All types of phones and cell phones, smart watches, AirPods, headphones, VR headsets, video game consoles, tablets, and laptops (even with broken screens). They must fit through the opening. No chargers, please.

How many devices have to be brought in before there is a tree planted?

Depending on the value of the electronic devices, a single-used cell phone or other device could result in the planting of anywhere from five to upwards of fifty trees or more.

Posters around the school display a Trees Planted Value Chart for your convenience. Here are some other equivalents:

50 Apple Phones = 200 trees planted

30 Tablets = 100 trees planted

25 Headphones = 80 trees planted

Essentially, the greater the value the device has the more trees that can be planted. One tree is planted for every $1 in recycling proceeds.

How many devices have you received?

The bins are emptied twice a year and they are securely locked so we will not know until the summer time. 

Who plants the trees? 

One Tree Planted is the organization that plants trees. For every dollar Phones for Trees sends from the recycling proceeds, One Tree Planted plants one tree. 

What should students know about the boxes?

They are only for electronic devices. 

Is there a device that kids can bring in to bring in more money?

The newer the device, the more money it can generate.

Why is it that you choose to collect electronic devices?

Electronic products are made from valuable resources and materials, including metals, plastics, and glass, all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Donating or recycling consumer electronics conserves our natural resources and avoids air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials.

View Comments (2)

Riley Hunt
Riley Hunt, Staff Writer

• C

CarolFeb 8, 2024 at 1:22 pm

Where in the school are these located? Can the public access them when they are there for games, performances etc? This is a wonderful program !

Reply
    • H

Haley ReedyFeb 9, 2024 at 10:10 am

The boxes are located at the end of the main ramp and next to the attendance office. When the public is in for games and performances, the boxes are accessible.

Reply