Wadsworth swim team goes to states

Wadsworth swim team goes to states

BY ASHLEY ALLWOOD

Five Wadsworth High School students went to states on February 25 and 26, 2022. On Friday, February 25 the students competed in preliminary. If the students make it to the top 16, they compete in the finals. 

The five states that went to state qualifiers pose for a picture with the OHSAA background. The team competed in the qualifier to take them into the final 16. PHOTO COURTESY OF KAYLEE MORAN.

Wadsworth High School swim team spend their practice time lifting or swimming before school. Then after the school day, the team will swim 3-5:30pm and then have practice on Saturday mornings from 6-8. 

During the postseason, the team has later practices and does not come in for Saturday practice.

Seth Waldow, a senior that has been swimming competitively for 5 years, made it to states for the 100 breaststroke. 

Waldow went into the states with the mindset of, “Just going to have fun as it’s my last swim.”

Along with Maddy Schnelzer, sophomore at Wadsworth High School,  qualifying for both the 100 breaststroke and the 200 free relay.

Schnelzer along with senior Kaylee Moran, sophomore Camryn Henderson, and freshman Wilson qualified for the 200 free relay. 

“I’m extremely excited I was able to go to states, especially as a senior,” said Moran. “Being able to go with 3 other amazing girls in a school-record-breaking relay feels unreal.”

Wadsworth’s relay team placed 22nd in the state. Waldow placed 23rd in the state for the 100 breaststroke and Schnelzer placed 14th in the state for the 100 breaststroke.